Davy Spillane making Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Davy Spillane making Whistles?

Post by Mikethebook »

Some years ago, there was much talk on the forum about Davy Spillane making whistles and a synthetic head low D akin to a Howard was reviewed. A video just filmed/released infers he is making all-aluminium low whistles (see from 1:30 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FjgEWdTRXE). He has tubing stacked up in a corner of his workshop and briefly plays a low D that is Goldie/Overton-like but I'm not sure is either. Possibly he made it (as an aside, on the workshop table is what looks like the original big-holed short-beaked whistle he is known for playing). It sounds really nice . . . but then he can probably get a great sound out of any whistle. Maybe he makes them for himself. If he's selling them, he is doing so quietly but then he has never advertised the making of Uilleann Pipes. Intriguing! Anyone fancy trying one?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Davy Spillane making Whistles?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

See the review of one of his whistles, years ago, by 'Bloomfield' on this forum

A few years ago there was an exhibition of three local instrument makers, Martin Doyle, Paul Dooley and Davy Spillane, in the Courthouse Gallery in Ennistymon. The Spillane whistle on display there was more of a Howard style one with a plastic head. Like a big Generation.

I don't think the whistles he plays are his own, although they may be, I don't know.

but then he has never advertised the making of Uilleann Pipes
In fact he has, he used to advertise in An Piobaire if I remember correctly and I have a few of his business cards (from the 80s and 90s) knocking around as well. That was before his time in Clare though, it was the Blackrock address at the time.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I remember the review of the Howard-like whistle which, as a whistle, never really interested me. But I'm far more interested that he may be making all-aluminium low Ds. He may well be using them himself but his main whistle still is, I believe, the big-holed Overton lying on the workshop bench and is possibly the one he is playing in the recent photo, though it would help to see the holes.

Colin Goldie says elsewhere on the forum: "Of course I have been asked frequently over the years from people “what Low D whistle does Davy Spillane play”. When I was in contact with Davy until the beginning of 1999 I asked him what to reply to this question and he told me to say that it was an Overton “hybrid” made by Bernard Overton. What he had done was to knock out the block and refit it back in again. This whistle was a big holed model that Bernard used to make about twenty years ago, I have also seen and played it close up a few times."
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I remember the review of the Howard-like whistle which, as a whistle, never really interested me.
Well, that's the whistle he has been making and selling, at least in the past. Image

He did have a few whistles in the case when I saw him recently, or so I seem to remember.

Here's a different pic:

My brain hurts

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Yes, I think that's the Overton. He would have that and probably the low F, I think also a big-hole Overton, but I don't know what else. I envy you being able to take the photo. I guess you must live in Clare not too far way from him.

Actually we probably live close to one another. You live at the Back of Beyond. I live not at the end of the world but you can see it from here. :D
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

So much for my great theories. The whistle Davy plays in the video is an Overton Low C from Bernard according to Colin Goldie.