Some science!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Some science!

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Printone 3D Wind Instrument-specific Printer: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 120516.php

How 'bout one shaped like a beer bottle that plays "the mug of brown ale?" or a kettle that plays "the cup of tea"? Possibilities are endless here. :twisted:
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Some science!

Post by Tunborough »

Ummm....
A wind instrument's sound is created by the player blowing air into the instrument, which creates a vibration of air known as the acoustic resonance.
:-? Say what?
most traditional wind instruments have taken on tube-like shapes for which the resonance is well understood, as creating free-form instruments manually has long been considered a challenge.
Not so much of a challenge. They are simply creating ocarinas, calculating the internal volume and the area of the holes, and predicting the playing frequencies from

Image.

As many here know, predicting the positions of toneholes in a tube-like shape is not necessarily "well understood".
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

It's an idiotic invention of zero use to the tinwhistle community. I just found it amusing that people went to the trouble designing software to create novelty ocarinas in weird shapes. Bachelorette parties, for one, will never be the same. How about a d*** that plays "here comes the bride!"
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

It can get worse...there's a 3D guitar kit, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Interacti ... B019D2YF5G

I actually saw this kit in person. I can't even comprehend.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Mae wrote:It can get worse...there's a 3D guitar kit, too:

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Interacti ... B019D2YF5G

I actually saw this kit in person. I can't even comprehend.
Could be worse than that - wait until the 3D bodhran kit comes out.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
chas

Post by chas »

Wow, that serpent really looks like a serpent, but it's not big enough.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:Printone 3D Wind Instrument-specific Printer: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 120516.php

or a kettle that plays "the cup of tea"? Possibilities are endless here. :twisted:

Indeed tin coffeepots in the right hands could pull it off viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103370&p=1180416&hi ... t#p1180416