Hawthorn - Any good as an instrument wood?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thunza
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an instrument making living in England. Previously making lyres and zithers I am interested in trying to make some woodwind instruments so would like to participate with the forum.

Thank you,
James

Hawthorn - Any good as an instrument wood?

Post by Thunza »

Hello, I have just join after finding this forum, I thought I might find someone who knows about something i've been wondering about.

Does anyone know if Hawthorn can be a suitable wood for making wind instruments?

I've only built string instruments before but would like to try some woodwind instruments and I have a nice bit of clear straight grain Hawthorn in fairly good quantity. It seems to have a good reputation for hardness, though I wouldn't say mine seems too impressive in that regard.

What I don't know is how stable/crack prone it is. It seems to dry very rapidly and splits quite fast if not sealed soon after cutting, maybe not a good indicator for stability?

So any thoughts?
Thanks
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Hawthorn - Any good as an instrument wood?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Not sure what it would be like for wet-blown instruments like flutes and whistles, but it's certainly usable for dry-blown instruments like bellows pipes. Ross Calderwood of Lochalsh Pipes, who makes Scottish smallpipes and border pipes from native woods, has used it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

I cannot comment on its use for whistle making, but I have a walking stick that I carved from hawthorn some 10-15 years ago. It has not cracked or split anywhere, and it has been used, abused and neglected in equal measures. I salvaged it from the 'hedge' that I cleared at the bottom of my first owned property. IIRC it was a nice wood to work with (for carving at least).
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Couldn't even find it in the Wood Database, which was surprising. Maybe because there are so many variations? Seems to be hard, moisture-resistant, and is mentioned as a substitute for boxwood for engraving.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crataegus
Thunza
Tell us something.: I am an instrument making living in England. Previously making lyres and zithers I am interested in trying to make some woodwind instruments so would like to participate with the forum.

Thank you,
James

Post by Thunza »

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose if in doubt it would be sensible to only use it for single piece instruments.

The stuff I have is very nice in appearance with some ripple figure, it will still need a couple of years drying if i'm ever to use it.

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Crataegus. If it doesn't work out for whistles, one traditional folk tales specify it as an excellent wood for stakes to drive through the the hearts of vampires. . . :o

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Thunza

Thank you,
James

Post by Thunza »

Hah, all is not lost then, i'll get sharpening.
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

Weston Whistles in the UK makes whistles from hawthorn.

http://www.westonwhistles.co.uk/prices.htm
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Has anyone ever made a whistle from blackthorn, you know, a blackthorn stick? (Sorry.)
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

Currently black locust is the one i have been using. It is super resistant to moisture and very hard/dense/close-grained. Most people use it for fence posts or firewood due to its heat output vs. low smoke. I am only using it for the fipple plugs, so I don't need a whole lot of it. I realize that the original query likely pertains more to the lathe-turned variety of whistle. I have tried fruitwood too and african blackwood, but never hawthorn.
Thunza

Thank you,
James

Post by Thunza »

Interesting to see at least one maker who's using it.