Germs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chubbychecker
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I would like information on purchasing a tin whistle. In particular I am trying to find a low d whistle that is not made of plastic.

Germs?

Post by chubbychecker »

Perhaps a silly question...what do you do, if anything, to prevent swapping germs when using a tin whistle that was previously owned by someone else? I was surprised/intrigued to read on another post that there is actually an active market for second hand tin whistles.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Germs?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think bacteria survive very long on their own when deposited on a whistle so I wouldn't worry much about it. Alternatively a quick wash with warm soapy water will clear up things.
My brain hurts

Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Washing a whistle with warm water and soap is really an easy proposition. Or, using alcohol on the mouthpiece would work too. I've bought and played lots of used whistles and it's always been fine.
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

chubbychecker wrote:Perhaps a silly question...what do you do, if anything, to prevent swapping germs when using a tin whistle that was previously owned by someone else?
Have you ever used cutlery that's been used by others and washed or do you stick strictly to your own? (And you're not even eating off the whistles...)

PS (edited) and how do you think the maker tested the whistles when not simply mass-produced?
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ickabod

Post by ickabod »

chubbychecker wrote:Perhaps a silly question...what do you do, if anything, to prevent swapping germs when using a tin whistle that was previously owned by someone else? I was surprised/intrigued to read on another post that there is actually an active market for second hand tin whistles.
I have pondered the exact same question. I don't think the questions is silly at all. Different viruses spread in different ways. Remember when the Ebola virus hit the US in 2016? Right about that time a purchased a used MK Low D whistle. I was concerned to say the least.

In case your wondering about ebola: Transmission. It is believed that between people, Ebola disease spreads only by direct contact with the blood or other body fluids of a person who has developed symptoms of the disease. Body fluids that may contain Ebola viruses include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine and semen.

I bought a bunch of alcohol wipes from the drug store. I probably used more than I should, but I didn't care. Wasn't about to risk it. Perhaps I'm a germaphobe? I don't care.. Better safe than sorry I say.
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Transmission. It is believed that between people, Ebola disease spreads only by direct contact
The underlined parts above explain why the quote isn't relevant when it comes to buying whistles.

More relevant would be :
CDC wrote:Ebola on dry surfaces, such as doorknobs and countertops, can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.
Which tells you a whistle arriving by post is likely safe, unless it is still wet with spit or blood from an ebola patient. Which, let's face it, isn't highly likely.
My brain hurts

greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

ickabod wrote:
chubbychecker wrote:Perhaps a silly question...what do you do, if anything, to prevent swapping germs when using a tin whistle that was previously owned by someone else? I was surprised/intrigued to read on another post that there is actually an active market for second hand tin whistles.
I have pondered the exact same question. I don't think the questions is silly at all. Different viruses spread in different ways. Remember when the Ebola virus hit the US in 2016? Right about that time a purchased a used MK Low D whistle. I was concerned to say the least.

In case your wondering about ebola: Transmission. It is believed that between people, Ebola disease spreads only by direct contact with the blood or other body fluids of a person who has developed symptoms of the disease. Body fluids that may contain Ebola viruses include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine and semen.

I bought a bunch of alcohol wipes from the drug store. I probably used more than I should, but I didn't care. Wasn't about to risk it. Perhaps I'm a germaphobe? I don't care.. Better safe than sorry I say.
Yes, you probably are from your stated concerns, but if that is what it takes for you to be comfortable with a used whistle purchase, so be it. I have purchased may used whistles over the years, and I am still here...breathing, in fact! I only ever washed them out with warm/hot water, and liquid dishsoap, and everything was fine. As was said before, most all germs don't survive when they dry, so if inclined-let them air dry after washing and you should be safe to blow. Just like your plates and utensils, as Mr. Gumby has suggested before, especially if you dine out on occasion.
~~~~
Barry
Hekim
Tell us something.: I am interested in learning to play the tin whistle. C&F is a great resource for that purpose. I have been lurking for some time and just thought it was time to register. Besides, how will I ever know what the C-people are up to with out this site?

Post by Hekim »

A brief soak in a small glass of Irish Whiskey. Not really necessary but seems appropriate.
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

I'm a germaphobe and get sick easily. That being said, I've gotten sick from eating out before, but I've yet to get sick from a used instrument. I stockpile alcohol wipes like there is no tomorrow, and use them on used instruments before I play them myself. But be careful about soaking anything in isopropyl alcohol, because some plastics do react to the alcohol, and adhesives might dissolve. If using on wood, do quick wipes around mouthpiece and partly inside the opening, wipe dry with a clean cloth immediately to prevent wood from drying out. Once completely dry, treat with a safe, edible oil and wait 10 hours or overnight before playing. If I see any accumulated crud on anything, I do a much more thorough cleaning with a small nylon brush.
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Sodium hypochlorite.
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I've played/owned many used whistles and flutes, and as far as I know, I have had no issues from it. When I purchase a used whistle, I do what others here have recommended, either washing with soap and water or using rubbing alcohol, depending on the material.
Life is good.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Germs, bleh, I have no taste for them! (double post edited).
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Right, dyersituations, me too-and all the whistles I've sold have been washed out and dried before shipping out, and so far no complaints from my many buyers over the years of any negative effects from purchase. So really, if the buyer and seller follow normal washing procedures, you are very unlikely to come to any negative effect of leftover germs in any used whistle purchased on ChiffandFipple.com, though if no one washes one they are selling or buying, then it is up for grabs what could transpire. If you neglect these simple rules, then you may have problems ahead. But it is entirely your fault, if you are the least bit aware of basic hygienic procedures to follow for disinfection for wind instruments as have been discussed before.

Of course, you could not go by what so many others here have stated about the safety of buying used whistles, and just buy new whistles that have not been allegedly played before by anyone. But I would be rather safe than sorry, and wash any whistle I buy new or used and let dry, for the slight chance of infection-low or high in magnitude. And you would be missing out on some very nice whistles too! It's just common sense-which should be judiciously applied in any situation you are likely to encounter. And adding a liberal use of the search function of both Chiff and the internet to find the most widely accepted solutions to your problems. (within reason of course)

Other than that, do what you want, but enjoy your time with these great and simple instruments, after you have put your mind at rest about probably non-existent lurking germs your imagination is more likely to believe than exists normally. In other words, take precautions, and be happy! And have a blast after all.
~~~~
Barry
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I don't do anything when I buy a used whistle.. I just play it. :o
chas

Post by chas »

Italian Rover wrote:Sodium hypochlorite.
You really do have to be careful with NaOCl (the primary component in chlorine bleach). It attacks many materials, including aluminum.

As to the original question, the vast majority of bacteria and viruses that would be transmitted by mouth die when well dried out. Those that are bandied about as possible germ-warfare agents, such as anthrax, will survive being desiccated. I know there are some that are more common and less lethal, but can't come up with them at the moment. Depending on the size of the desiccated microbes, washing with soap and water may or may not be effective. As IR pointed out above, bleach will most likely be effective.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.