Germs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Germs?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't do anything when I buy a used whistle.. I just play it. :o
Hm,. yes. I thin that's standard practice for most people (the ones I know of anyway), unless a whistle arrives very dirty and neglected but that is very rarely the case. There is really no need to disinfect your environment all the time, use bit of sense and you'll be fine. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Can you be too clean?

Hygiene hypothesis
My brain hurts

DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:........ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Oddly it is only the survivors that say that.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

But that's paraphrased from Nietzsche who hasn't survived...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Hmmm. Just found an old 'C' whistle I lost out in the garden last summer. . .I believe I'll suds it out. . . :lol:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Italian Rover wrote:Sodium hypochlorite.
Not good on an aluminum whistle. It will corrode the aluminum badly!
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

It is certainly an issue.

Back in the day I carted my whistle-emporium around this continent, I used vodka to disinfect "tried whistles".
But I could not do that with wooden whistles because it would bleach the wood and de-nature it in general.

I trialed many kinds of wood-friendly essential oils, but was finally put-right by an Indic friend on this board who said "Arr Derr - we have been using sandalwood as a broad-spectrum disinfectant for millenia!"
SAndalwood will disinfect most pathogens is very short order and will not de-nature plastics, metals or woods. And is is a very low histamine and will not trigger auto-immune reactions.

Unfortunately, most forms of sandalwood are nearing extinction and are becoming prohibitively expensive.

But then - for our purposes, it only takes a tiny amount to get the effect - and it can be in the parts-per-million to work.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tor

Post by Tor »

Most wood is actually a disinfectant. Consider a breadboard, used for cutting not only bread, but meat, fish, vegetables etc. Just a piece of raw wood. An organic material by itself, it should have rotted away quickly, the way other organic materials do (e.g. the aforementioned meat, fish, vegetables). But it doesn't. It's fine after years and decades of use. The wood just needs a water rinse, and even without, it won't normally decay. Why? It's because the tree absorbs various 'poisons' from the soil, and deposits those in its own wood. Particularly in the hard core. Kills bacteria and other pathogens left and right. Quite unlike a plastic breadboard, I might add.. now, that's something that can quickly become unhygienic.
Bob Wetherall

Post by Bob Wetherall »

We certainly are a weird species. We spend our teens and twenties (at least) attempting to lock lips (and more) with comparitive strangers of the appropriate sex and are then concerned about a few dried up germs.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I've owned dozens of used instruments over the years, especially back when I was heavily reviewing them. I would often sell most of the whistles I owned (keeping a couple of favorites) and combine that with the income I made from ad revenue on my website (which, at the time before Ad Block Plus, was substantial) and buy as many non-reviewed secondhand whistles as I could.

I almost never washed any of them before trying them out. In general, most germs don't survive very long outside of the body. If the whistles were gunky looking (which was almost never the case), I cleaned them off--because ew! But otherwise, I just played them as they are.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-long-do ... -body.aspx
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

After a water rinse, perhaps a sip of Scotch while playing will do the trick. I wouldn't want to pour good Scotch down the tube.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Do whistles with germs cause WHOAD? Or does this fall under the "don't discuss medical issues" prohibition?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I think WHOAD is caused by the germs on whistle forums. Chiff... Chiff...