CP: Whorfin Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

CP: Whorfin Whistles

Post by chas »

I have a few new batches of whistles available (I like making them more than marketing them). Price is $125 if not noted, including shipping to the ConUS. (Shipping elsewhere at cost. International orders must be through paypal.) There are a few that are discounted due to flaws and a few more expensive. All are pictured with the tuning slides adjusted to play A440 (for me; I’m a little flat, YMMV). All have moderate volume unless noted.

Please click the email button below, or send to whorfinwoods at gmail dot com

Shown in ascending order left to right.

88 – tulipwood with brass. Very traditional sound

94 – osage orange with brass. Very easy player, clear robust sound but not too sweet or loud. RH2 has a chip out of the edge; slide is a little long and encroaches on LH1; neither affects playability. $75

97 – pear/fruit wood with brass. nice traditional sound, a little breathy, slide needs to be pulled out kinda far (3/8”). $100

Four boxwood whistles, Each with a nice clean sound, none too sweet

101 -- $150
102 -- $150
103 -- $125, slide needs to be pulled out like #97
104 -- $150

105 – American Osage orange with brass. Clear, full sound.

106 – Argentine Osage orange with brass. Clear and full, a little sweeter than #105. Slide needs to be pulled out like #97; has a couple of apparent cracks (backside of the mouthpiece and near the bottom ring in the front), but at no point has either of these gone through the wood or leaked; I’m a bit baffled by them. $100

107 – Bloodwood with aluminum. Traditional sound, nice balance.

108 – Tambootie with aluminum. Traditional, a little wind, but very sweet. Developed a few cracks during working. They’re not that apparent and have been stable for some months. Gorgeous piece of wood. $100

109 – Burmese blackwood with brass. This one and the next are the first for quite some time on which I’ve made all the fittings myself. This one has a mellow, woody sound. $150

110 – Burmese blackwood with brass. Nice dirty traditional sound; more volume than most of my whistles. $150

Three C whistles. These are the gamma batch; much better than those that have come before, including the two I sent out on tour. These all have what I would call a very woody sound. They’re a little veiled, very mellow, but they’re not breathy. All have brass fittings. All $100. [After the R&D round, they’ll almost all be from boxwood, blackwood, or damson plum, with standard list $175-200.]

Top to bottom:

C-1: Holly. There’s a stray saw mark near the window, barely noticeable. [spoken for]

C-2: Dogwood. There’s a dark streak on the mouthpiece; this was likely from a lightning strike.

C-3: Fruit/plum wood. There’s a noticeable knot near the RH3 hole; it’s not leaky. [spoken for]

Note that tulipwood and Burmese blackwood are true rosewood species, and about three months from now I may not be able to ship them internationally.

Cheers, Charlie
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas

Re: CP: Whorfin Whistles

Post by chas »

Can't edit any more.

#108 and #109 are taken.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Spielorjh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

What are these like in terms of backpressure, air requirement, and responsiveness?
RLindner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Post by RLindner »

Hi Charlie,

is #94 still available. How much would be the shipment to Germany?

Cheers, Rainer
chas

Post by chas »

email sent.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods