New insperation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

New insperation

Post by I.D.10-t »

I really do not want my kid seeing me come from the machine shop just to plunk down in front of an LED screen. So I picked up my fife and played some tunes I haven't for a long time, but it seemed to be in my fingers,stick, and lips.

Mesmerized by my awful transverse flute playing, I offered my favorite whistle. Perhaps after 1 year old she will stop using it as a bash stick.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Spielorjh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Re: New insperation

Post by Spielorjh »

I got my kid a Gen Bb and a Feadog D for much the same reasons, and hes slowly learning to Respect The Instrument as I keep repeating. He came up to me and played half of Hyfrydol the other day, so we're making progress.
rge3
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I purchased my first whistle, an early Susato, one piece with a wooden fipple, direct from a Kelischek booth at a Renaissance Fair in Black Mtn. NC in the late 70's/early 80's. The tuning was interesting, but it got me started. I've been annoying the public, and the private, ever since. Having had some repair work done on arthritic joints in my thumbs I'm reclaiming the whistle as part of my therapy, as well as an old source of joy.

Re: New insperation

Post by rge3 »

My daughter has always more tolerated than approved of my musical tastes, though we did try to start her out right. She was taken to several Tannahill Weavers and Andy M. Stewart/Phil Cunningham shows as a babe in arms (the Tannie's sound man thoughtfully provided ear plugs for her). She did go to sleep to the strains of Bonnie Rideout's "Soft May Morn" most nights.

At one show, Phil Cunningham introduced "Miss Rowan Davies" with a story about having a harp made for the lass. She apparently put it to good use slicing cheese.

r