Buying new whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LordG07
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New to whistles want to learn more, I photograph a lot of Scottish and celtic bands and now want to learn how to play

Buying new whistle

Post by LordG07 »

Hi all Im trying to decide on buying a new whistle. I am a beginner but want to get something that is going to last me and something I'm going to learn with.

The type of music Im looking to play is trad play songs like the Gael etc. I even want to when I get better play covers from some albums.

The whistles I have been looking at are Dixon tunable( I think its plastic), Tilbury, and feadog blackbird. I have about 75+ to spend because right now I'm on disability. Let me knob that you think and if you maybe have other sugestions too.

Cheers,
Gary
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: Buying new whistle

Post by tin tin »

I've never tried a Tilbury, so can't comment, but the Dixon and (do you mean Jerry Freeman?) Blackbird are nice. I like the Freeman Bluebird even better. I also really like the brass Killarney whistle--that's the one I use. http://killarneywhistle.com/
mcvarishdc

Post by mcvarishdc »

I have a Tilbury. I like it but it is quite soft and is also very sensitive to the pressure of blowing. I also have Dixons, and they are reliable easy to play whistled, good for a beginner.
LordG07
Tell us something.: New to whistles want to learn more, I photograph a lot of Scottish and celtic bands and now want to learn how to play

Post by LordG07 »

Thanks for all that info but now Im really going back in forth between the Killarney (great sound )and the Dixon TRAD and tunable poly they all sound good. The one thing I don't want is the recorder sound but I'm not sure I hear that with the dioxin poly defiantly not with the two others.
This is going to be taught both sound really good Im trying to tell which ones use less air and don't squeak when you go to the higher nots. Im a beginner but I learn fast. Im using a mellow dog tweeted but its just not for me.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

LordG07 wrote:Im trying to tell which ones use less air and don't squeak when you go to the higher nots.
The Killarney probably uses less air than the Dixons, which probably use similar air to (or approaching the same as) your Mellow Dog. None of them squeak when you go to the higher notes... that's the players!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
LordG07

Post by LordG07 »

So true about the squeeking,
It's really coming down to the Killarney
Or the Dixon trad in D.
Still a tough decision I want this pipe for a bunch of years.
LordG07

Post by LordG07 »

Okay, one more whistles into the decision. Has anyone ever heard of the Syn (not snit whistle) and your feelings on that one. A little more expensive but like I said, I want it to be a whistle to grow with.

Cheers,
Gary
ickabod

Post by ickabod »

LordG07 wrote:Okay, one more whistles into the decision. Has anyone ever heard of the Syn (not snit whistle) and your feelings on that one. A little more expensive but like I said, I want it to be a whistle to grow with.

Cheers,
Gary
I purchased a Syn A & Bb set awhile back.. Did not find them to be a good match for me at all. I had numerous issues.. The tuning seemed quite off. There was one head and two bodies. I struggled repositioning the head many times. I never seemed to be able to get in tune with my breath control. It felt very clunky and awkward in my hands in comparison to a Gen Bb. They had a nice tone though.

I currently play a Freeman Low A & Bb tweaked generation whistle for those keys. The intonation seems much more to my liking on those whistles when compared with Syn set I have. I also like the narrow bore on the Freeman whistles.

I think those keys where new to Earl when I purchased them. So he may have made changes or the whistle just didn’t fit me. I do know there are people who post here that are quite fond of the syn whistles. I really haven’t heard much here about the low keys.. But, the high D & C Syn whistles have gotten praise here.

NOTE: Also, a more expensive whistle does not necessarily equate to a higher quality instrument in the whistling world.
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
Stefanremy
Tell us something.: Hello, I ' m a fanatic whistler since 3 years and former recorder player. Started on flute very recently and love ITM.

Post by Stefanremy »

I have syn, dixon and killarney nickle and brass, and I would definitely go for the brass killarney. It is a whistle that is as perfectly in tune as a whistle can be ( imperfect ) and I prefer the brass sound a little over the nickle one. The killarney whistle has IMO the sweetest less shrill second octave. Just my view.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I gave all my D's away and kept the Killarney. That's all I was playing anyway. I wish they would make Killarneys in C and Bb.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

LordG07 wrote:A little more expensive but like I said, I want it to be a whistle to grow with.

Cheers,
Gary
You'll find that your experience levels will develop and so your whistle choices may change as well. Play for awhile and gain some experience. The whistles will be around when you need to upgrade, if you need to upgrade at all. Have fun!
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

My first whistle was a Timothy J. Potter D - while the website http://www.tjpottermusic.com/ is inconsistently down, I can resolve http://tjpottermusic.com/contact.htm at least on my browser and you can directly contact him to order.

I don't think I've spent a better $40 this year, except maybe on groceries.

I lack the terminology to explain what I like about it, but I believe there's a thread on it somewhere.
LordG07

Post by LordG07 »

Just ordered the Killarney in brass.....
Very excited to start taking more lessons and practice,practice,practice,practice........................
Then when I think I'm really good ignore my ego and practice,practice,practice.............
mcvarishdc

Post by mcvarishdc »

I am rather late in this discussion, but, I have a set of Syns. I really liked them at first, and played them a lot. However, coming back to them, I found them to be less responsive and bright sounding than several other whistles.
whistle51000
Tell us something.: Whistle construction isn't easy. Playing is even harder........the best whistles are the cheapies. Why spend more money when one can save on whistles.

Post by whistle51000 »

Nice info. I am also a relatively new player.