Tonguing and slurring

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jason341
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a beginning tin whistle player. I am hoping that I can get some help to be able to learn. I especially want help to learn about tonguing and slurring.

Tonguing and slurring

Post by jason341 »

Hello, I just started playing the tin whistle recently, and I could really use some wisdom on tonguing and slurring, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tonguing and slurring

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum.

Even searching here on the Chiff the debate whether to use tonguing or not could seem confusing. You have to listen to a lot of whistling to determine whether you like it or not and how to do it your self. Look for the middle ground.

Enjoy your whistling.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

One of the best pieces of advice I received when I started was to avoid tonguing - just slur all the notes. I came from recorder where tonguing is pretty dominant, and slurring every note got me out of that habit. It forced me to learn cuts from the very beginning at least for adjacent same-notes. Most importantly, it required me to develop efficient and clean fingering.

One philosophy is that a whistle owes more to piping than to fiddle styling The pipes don't have any tongue articulations, so the whistle should emulate the pipes. It's only one truth, but I can appreciate that point of view. My present project is sort of the opposite, i.e. trying to emulate fiddle, but that's just me.

I'm using more tonguing now than when I started, figuring that I should take advantage of all available options.

But, I still return frequently to all slurring to see if my finger articulations are clean.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

One philosophy is that a whistle owes more to piping than to fiddle styling The pipes don't have any tongue articulations, so the whistle should emulate the pipes
It's only one truth, but I can appreciate that point of view.
Unfortunately, this is one of those myths that keeps on coming back. The Irish pipes are very well capable of stopping the chanter between notes and there's a whole range of note separation/articulation available on the pipes, even if it may seem they produce a long, unbroken legato stream of notes in the hands of some players.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think that people who are brought up in a certain genre often carry with them a set of assumptions that they're not aware of, forming as they do fundamental parameters of the genre. Sometimes it takes somebody coming to the genre from without to bring notice to a stylistic feature that people within the genre take for granted.

Articulation is one of those things. It took me going around teaching at Irish flute workshops, the attendees nearly always being from a Boehm flute and/or recorder background, to make me aware of just how fundamental the dichotomy of approach is.

ITM players will hear a whistleplayer tongue all over the place and often not be aware that, compared to Boehm flute/recorder style, the playing is in fact fundamentally legato. The tonguing is accenting and articulating chosen points in a flowing style.

This is at odds with so-called "Classical" playing on Boehm flute, recorder, and especially the Baroque flute (where every note is articulated, even if the score shows slurring. I was a Baroque flute Major in college for a while).

It was often extremely difficult to get people in the Irish flute workshops to approach the music in a legato flowing way, to get them to stop giving each individual note a separate existence.

I'd have them listen to Paddy Carty.

For people not used to a legato approach, and digital articulation, on flute and whistle I'd begin with stressing that they play fully legato at first. After that becomes comfortable/natural it's time to start figuring out when to articulate.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
jason341
Tell us something.: I am a beginning tin whistle player. I am hoping that I can get some help to be able to learn. I especially want help to learn about tonguing and slurring.

Post by jason341 »

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!! Based on what I've read, and how I feel most comfortable right now, I'm going with a more legato approach. Thanks and God bless!!!!
Last edited by jason341 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

pancelticpiper wrote: I'd have them listen to Paddy Carty.
Me too! Paddy Carty will do you a powerful lot of good no matter what ails you.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tonguing and slurring are both tools. Learn both, listen to a lot of different players, then decide for yourself how and when to use each.
Playing with no tonguing is a good way to learn ornaments as a way to articulate a tune. Tonguing should usually be used subtly. I came to whistle from lessons from a classical Boehm flute player, then recorder playing. It took me a long time to tone down my tonguing. Now I use both techniques as the mood and tune strikes me.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

As a rank beginner, I have nevertheless found all this advice to be pretty spot on.
mcvarishdc

Post by mcvarishdc »

Jason:

As a token whistle anarchist, my philosophy is just to articulate the way that sounds best to you when you are playing. Your are not Joanie Madden or whoever so why should you play like the . Have fun playing!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As a token whistle anarchist, my philosophy is just to articulate the way that sounds best to you when you are playing. Your are not Joanie Madden or whoever so why should you play like the . Have fun playing!
Not particularly helpful advice. The whole idea there are no rules and you should do as you please does not lead you towards playing music well when given as advice to a beginner. Learn, listen, understand and then formulate your own approach from a position of knowledge and understanding of the aesthetic, by all means. But 'do as you please' as a beginner (which is effectively what your saying), that's really not going to put you on a road to musical satisfaction.
My brain hurts

Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

The idea of eschewing all tonguing until one at least somewhat masters cuts and taps etc proved/is proving to be a very helpful one for me.
jason341

Post by jason341 »

I can see where everyone is coming from with their comments, and I just want to say thank you very much! I am starting from scratch. I am not from a recorder background. I am from a rock guitar background, so my only temptation has been to want to hook an amplifier to my tin whistle! Lol :D
cboody

Post by cboody »

pancelticpiper wrote:I think that people who are brought up in a certain genre often carry with them a set of assumptions that they're not aware of, forming as they do fundamental parameters of the genre. Sometimes it takes somebody coming to the genre from without to bring notice to a stylistic feature that people within the genre take for granted.

Articulation is one of those things. It took me going around teaching at Irish flute workshops, the attendees nearly always being from a Boehm flute and/or recorder background, to make me aware of just how fundamental the dichotomy of approach is.

ITM players will hear a whistleplayer tongue all over the place and often not be aware that, compared to Boehm flute/recorder style, the playing is in fact fundamentally legato. The tonguing is accenting and articulating chosen points in a flowing style.

This is at odds with so-called "Classical" playing on Boehm flute, recorder, and especially the Baroque flute (where every note is articulated, even if the score shows slurring. I was a Baroque flute Major in college for a while).

Want to expand a bit on something off topic here? I've a PhD in Musicology and was at one time a decent player on recorder and student of Baroque music. I don't recall anything about "Every note is articulated." Could you point me at some sources so I can look into that a bit? I will admit to using some articulations that were very smooth in the place of some slurs, but certainly not all...assuming the fingering issues didn't seem to demand an articulation.