Variance of whistles within the same counter display/batch

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Variance of whistles within the same counter display/batch

Post by Sirchronique »

I've always tended to buy any single brand of cheap whistles either from a variety of stores, or on the used market, because I have always figured this allowed for greater variability than buying multiples from the same store. So, I am curious whether there is still a great deal of variance between whistles that come from the same bulk counter-display.

My very best whistle is an Acorn brand. Coincidentally, my very worst whistle is also an Acorn, and I've noticed more variability with whistles of this brand than of any other, including Generation. I initially got a superb one, and bought several others from a variety of places, and, although I did find a couple of somewhat decent ones, most were of quite poor playability and sound, and one even made my lips go numb.

I am thinking about buying a large counter-display of Acorn whistles to see if it might include another superb one. I've certainly heard stories of people buying large boxes of whistles with hopes of finding a good one, but I am curious as to whether there really is much variability between whistles that are in the same display, which I would assume means they were produced together consecutively in the factory. Do injection molding heads produce much variability from one whistle head to the next one that is molded immediately after it, or does the majority of variability occur from one day/month/year to the next? I'm just wanting to avoid buying a counter display if all of them are going to be quite close to one another (which would be great if they were all good, but it seems unlikely, as the majority of Acorns are not to my liking).

Those of you who have played various whistles from a single counter display in a store- Is there much variability from one whistle to the next in the same display? I'm sure that the degree of this partially depends on brand, but I'm curious to hear what others might have to say about this, as I've never played two whistles from a single display before, as whistles aren't sold in stores here.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Variance of whistles within the same counter display/bat

Post by kkrell »

I can tell you from my experience performing quality control inspection for a toy manufacturer, that the injection molding process itself (high heat & all that) can result in considerable variation of plastic parts, warping, shrinkage, etc. Some problems can affect the entire run, while others will only result in a few bad parts per shift.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Not from a counter display, but several years ago I had an opportunity to go through an unopened box of 24 Generation D whistles straight from the factory.

I've told the story many times here over the years, whenever the topic of quality control or variation in Generation whistles comes up.

One whistle of the 24 was superb, another was nearly as good. (I bought those!)

There were a few- I can't remember how many- which were good.

There were a few which were practically unplayable.

The rest were in a mediocre middle.

As I've said before Generation could have, over the years, systematically sold only the very best of each batch, and thrown away the rest, gained a reputation as one of the world's best makers, and sold their whistles for maybe $100 each. Or more- the best whistle of that batch of 24 outplayed pretty much any "high end" whistles out there, whistles that go for $200 or more.

Or they could have sold only the good whistles of each batch, the top quarter perhaps, gained a reputation as a very good maker, and sold their whistles for maybe $50 each.

But they let all out the door, the excellent and the horrible alike.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Thanks Pancelticpiper , that's the sort of thing I was wondering about. I suppose then, if I buy a box of 12 I might end up with a bit of variation, and hopefully another good one! I've got an absurdly large pile of Gens now, and there's definitely a few really top notch ones in there, however, I prefer the good Acorn, which is really quite similar to a Gen in character. Seems to me that Acorns are an often overlooked brand.

I find it very curious that Acorns vary as much as they do, because, as far as I know, they are made by the same company that makes Oak whistles (they look almost identical), but I have found all of my Oaks to be quite consistent by cheap whistle standards.

In any case, seems worthwhile to buy a 12 pack of them, though hopefully I don't end up with an entire box of the ones with some kind of anaesthetic on the mouthpiece, which luckily I've only encountered once :o .
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I find it very curious that Acorns vary as much as they do, because, as far as I know, they are made by the same company that makes Oak whistles (they look almost identical), but I have found all of my Oaks to be quite consistent by cheap whistle standards.
It is usually claimed Feadóg Teo makes the head for Oak whistles so we'll assume they also make the Acorn (which I have never seen, they're not on sale here and appear to be a line for the US). Variability is inherent to the process. I don't know about the current Oak but they used to vary as much as any other whistle.
My brain hurts

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sirchronique wrote: In any case, seems worthwhile to buy a 12 pack of them, though hopefully I don't end up with an entire box of the ones with some kind of anaesthetic on the mouthpiece, which luckily I've only encountered once :o .
The whistles made across the pond that I have bought do not come 12 in a box. They come 10 in a box. A dozen is an an american number.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A dozen is an an american number.
Not particularly, Feadógs come in boxes of ten as well as boxes of three dozen

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Tommy wrote:The whistles made across the pond that I have bought do not come 12 in a box. They come 10 in a box. A dozen is an an American number.
We are generally confused by the metric system....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

Hmm.. I thought Oak whistles and Acorns were manufactured within the U.S. ... though, I can't remember where I read that, so perhaps I'm imagining things.

I know that no Oak I have played has been similar at all to any Feadog I've played. However, I think at one time Acorns did use a head similar to the Feadog MK2, but I've not played that kind, as the only ones I've acquired have an Oak-style head. Perhaps it is made in a different facility owned by the same company?

The only bulk amount of Acorns I've found has been the 12 pack ones meant for counter displays.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hmm.. I thought Oak whistles and Acorns were manufactured within the U.S. ... though, I can't remember where I read that, so perhaps I'm imagining things.
The Oak definitely used to be a US made whistle. But it appears they are not any longer, and haven't been for the past five years or so at least. Check the ads and descriptions on various sites, they're often quoted as 'made in Ireland by Feadóg teoranta. For example here is one, sold as 'made in Ireland'.
My brain hurts

Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Yes.

I tested 100 cheap whistles one time.
I found 6 to be excellent and 6 to be horrid and 90 were OK if the player was a master.

Of the 100, I found one that was guaranteed to destroy the musical aspirations of anyone within 30 miles of it.

So I buried it in a concrete bunker in funnel-web-spider-infested ground along with a note that if it was to be unearthed to urgently send it to Jerry Freeman for de-fusement!!

(all this is true- I posted here about it years ago along with the data series from the empirical tests)

So .I know that Generation has enlisted that English low-whistle-guy who's product can be found around the place .. to re-do the die-casts. I have not seen a single one in this market, but I am assured they are coming-through when current stocks are exhausted in music shops. .. They seem to be an improvement from report.

A master player can pick up the worst of the worst and make it perform.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com