new whistle wanted, but what kind?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mainlandjusiel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a flutist interested in whistle. I've played cheap whistles and am interested in finding something a little better but have no information to go by. I'm hoping people in these forums can point me in the right direction. I also noticed you have a used instrument exchange which could prove very helpful.

new whistle wanted, but what kind?

Post by mainlandjusiel »

Hello All,

I'm new here & am looking for a descent whistle for under $100. I've played the cheapies and they are fine for some things, but I'm wanting to play a little more seriously and am looking for something with a little better intonation & hopefully tone than those. I know extremely little about various brands. What brands should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!
Maggie
Mr.Gumby

Re: new whistle wanted, but what kind?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perhaps you should be a bit more specific. What is 'a bit more serious'? What type(s) of music are you planning to play, what is the tone you're looking for, perhaps what experience you have playing music/the whistle. This will help a lot getting you a more specific answer to your question.

My brain hurts

calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

Seconding Mr. Gumby. Also might want to let us know which "cheapies" you tried already so we've got a reference point.
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum.

If $100.00 is your top price there are several whistles that could fit your playing preferences. Maybe a location would help with finding something near you, or just browse the internet sales sites.

Have fun with your whistling.
mainlandjusiel
Tell us something.: I'm a flutist interested in whistle. I've played cheap whistles and am interested in finding something a little better but have no information to go by. I'm hoping people in these forums can point me in the right direction. I also noticed you have a used instrument exchange which could prove very helpful.

Post by mainlandjusiel »

Thanks for responding! I wasn't getting notifications for some reason, and I've been so busy I didn't check back until now. I'm a flute player and play old-time/Appalachian/Irish/Scottish tunes. I've got a masters in flute, so am capable, but have less experience in whistle performance practice. I can play any tune I want on the whistle, but am looking to get better Irish/Scottish technique and to play more in tune. I've played Generation and Oak whistles. Sorry I didn't give enough information. Thanks!
mainlandjusiel

Post by mainlandjusiel »

Oh... I'm in WV, US. Not much here. I have to order online. Thanks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mainlandjusiel wrote:I wasn't getting notifications for some reason, and I've been so busy I didn't check back until now.
To the best of my knowledge, there's no individual notification for answered posts; you have to log in and follow up on your own material. You can be notified of private messages, though, if you choose.

- Mod
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

mainlandjusiel wrote:I'm a flute player and play old-time/Appalachian/Irish/Scottish tunes. I've got a masters in flute, so am capable, but have less experience in whistle performance practice. I can play any tune I want on the whistle, but am looking to get better Irish/Scottish technique and to play more in tune. I've played Generation and Oak whistles. Sorry I didn't give enough information. Thanks!
What kind of flute do you play? Boehm? Modern, simple system? 18th century one key?

Generation in general seems to have a reasonably good reputation: I believe it is Mary Bergin that plays on a Gen, so the brand itself is not necessarily at issue when it comes to quality or intonation! But for all that, you could have a dud, which might explain some intonation problems, particularly given your experience. Fortunately, they're cheap enough that you could buy a number of them to try.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the rudiments & general technic aren't your issue: rather it seems that what you're looking for is simply taking the time to learn your particular whistle -- figure out exactly what fingering & amount of breath will be required to get the precise note you want to hear, how it responds to you and so forth. Perhaps perform some gently tweaking. You know, forging a relationship between you and your instrument.

That at least is something I don't think you can really get just by shopping or just by buying a whistle of a particular dollar level.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
awildman

Post by awildman »

Click on 'Notify me when a reply is posted' whenever you post a message on the board(before hitting 'submit'), and the forum will automatically email you when there is another post made.

Those whistles should be perfectly fine to play good Irish/Scottish music. "I want to play in tune" is a quite an ambiguous statement. Some whistles have better tuning, but whistles in general do not have a tempered scale. Not every note will be in-tune to certain instruments like piano. Some of that can be overcome with breath control. As long as the whistle tunes to A=440 and is in tune with itself, you won't get much better.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

I've never regretted my TJ Potter D for a good cheap starter. His website is inconsistently reachable, but he does sales by email as well.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

awildman wrote:Click on 'Notify me when a reply is posted' whenever you post a message on the board(before hitting 'submit'), and the forum will automatically email you when there is another post made.
Oops. Well, that's embarrassing. But thanks for pointing it out. I've seen it a million times but since it never occurred to me to use it, it didn't register. I should try it sometime.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

If you are in the US, you can get Chuck Tilbury whistles for $75, and those are my favorites so far, or you can get Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generations, and some sites carry Tony Dixon whistles. For more even tuning, polymer whistles such as Susato tend to be more accurate, though they don't sound as "whistle-like" as some of the others. I'll list some sites I hit:

http://www.thewhistleshop.com

http://www.whistlemaker.com (Chuck Tilbury)

http://www.harpanddragon.com (best prices for Tony Dixon)

http://stores.ebay.com/freemanwhistles

http://www.susato.com/

Of my cheapies, I tend to favor my Oak or Feadog Pro if I just want to take it out of the house and not really be concerned about it. Both of those are "tunable" in that you can move the mouth piece up and down on the body in order to bring the notes into pitch.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Oak and generation? Try this.
http://www.killarneywhistle.com/
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Mae
Tell us something.: I'm a recorder player, but I've been dabbling in Irish whistles and Native American flutes. I'm always interested in learning more.

Post by Mae »

Oh, nice. Didn't know the Killarney whistle was under US$100, but the exchange rate is good. I've read that these are a bit heavier, though.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Nanohedron wrote:
awildman wrote:Click on 'Notify me when a reply is posted' whenever you post a message on the board(before hitting 'submit'), and the forum will automatically email you when there is another post made.
Oops. Well, that's embarrassing. But thanks for pointing it out. I've seen it a million times but since it never occurred to me to use it, it didn't register. I should try it sometime.
Not just when you post, either. When viewing the thread, select the Subscribe Topic link at the top of the thread (under the title). You can also Unsubscribe (link toggles) or you can Manage Subscriptions in your User Control Panel ucp.php?i=main&mode=subscribed