Making a PVC whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Re: Making a PVC whistle

Post by Innocent Bystander »

highwood wrote:
The other big annoyance is finding dowel that will fit with no (or minimal) sanding
This problem is simple to solve - just buy a lathe.
You know you want to and the sooner you do it the fewer your regrets will be once you do buy one and wonder why you waited for half your life before doing it!!
The first PVC whistle I made was using electrical conduit (bright red) in a non-standard bore. I had no hope of finding a dowel to fit, and the best one I got took an age to sand down. I've made a bunch of whistles to Mr Gonzago's specifications (hat off to Mr G!) but found when I moved across country that the dowel sizes were not the same! Labelled the same, yes, but 2-3 mm difference! I suspect that if I toured the different DIY suppliers, the variations would be sufficient to find one to fit. But then, I'm living near a metropolis. Not everyone is in a position to do that.

Anyway - don't buy a lathe. Find a friend with a lathe! :D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
iskandar taib
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just started making whistles after coming across some in Thailand. Hope this is long enough. Apparently it isn't. Here's another sentence. Or two. Is that long enough?

Post by iskandar taib »

Incidentally... anyone seen this before?

http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/design

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:216208

One more thing to try when I get my printer... Wonder what it sounds like.

Iskandar
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

No, but I'm not surprised. It was only a matter of time. At least this may allow makers to cope with the conical bore issue.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!