Tweaked Mellow Dog 2nd octave

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CatDuet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an orchestral flute player with a couple tin whistles looking for a better one, combing thru info on whistles before I purchase one.

Tweaked Mellow Dog 2nd octave

Post by CatDuet »

I am considering getting a slightly better D whistle. (I have a flat Generation D.) Recordings demo-ing the Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog sound amazing, but I haven't found any with much high range demonstrated. I have read on the forum that they require more air for the 2nd octave, but I don't see that as a problem, as long as that octave is possible. I play sax, orchestral flute, and bagpipes, so I have plenty of air. Does anyone have a link demo-ing a good player doing the 2nd a little more fully on one of these, or advice regarding them? What I love about the tone quality they seem to have is the depth and grit without too much breathiness. I'm interested in it for playing with a jam session that includes guitarists and where I can be miked if needed.

Thanks!
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: Tweaked Mellow Dog 2nd octave

Post by tin tin »

The Mellow Dog is a nice whistle, but like all wide-bore whistles, the second octave isn't as sweet as a narrower bore.
Here's the Mellow Dog: http://freemanwhistles.com/soundclips/F ... rnpipe.mp3
If you'd like something sweeter, the Bluebird is great.
Here's the Bluebird: http://freemanwhistles.com/soundclips/F ... rrogie.mp3
(Both of these clips are from Jerry's eBay listings.)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a flat Generation D.
You have either sat on it or you will need to move the head to tune it.
My brain hurts

CatDuet
Tell us something.: I'm an orchestral flute player with a couple tin whistles looking for a better one, combing thru info on whistles before I purchase one.

Post by CatDuet »

:lol: No, I didn't sit on it, but maybe that would improve it, heheh. I got it 2nd-hand, so maybe the previous owner threw it at the wall in a tormented moment. :o

I did loosen the head, but to no avail, since it was already pushed in all the way. On my bagpipe chanter, I can adjust things to where they should be by pushing in the reed and using tape to flatten any notes that need it. This won't work on a whistle that's flat across the board. It's tuning on F# is pretty flat even in comparison to the other notes, so it's not a gem. What' the advisability of trying to file the tube shorter? I've been afraid I would bend it, but since I'm planning to buy a new whistle anyway, maybe it' worth the risk.

Are tin whistles supposed to be basically in diatonic tuning?--not super flat on the F#? (and this is a D whistle).
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's tuning on F# is pretty flat even in comparison to the other notes, so it's not a gem.
That's pretty much standard, the scale is not an of equal tempered one. And better for it, if you ask me.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

You might consider contacting Jerry Freeman, maker of the Mellow Dog, directly (he posts here kinda regularly). He's very good about giving advice and or making adjustments on his instruments.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
CatDuet

Post by CatDuet »

Thanks, all. After more inquiry and consideration, I did order the Mellow Dog and the C tube as well that you can attach the same head to from Jerry Freeman. I'm looking forward to them!
CatDuet

Post by CatDuet »

:D
Oh, yes, the Mellow Dog IS nice! I got the C whistle tube as well and also find it nice also. My "worries" about the 2nd octave were totally groundless. The 2nd octave pops in there quite easily and has beautiful, sweet tone. It's easier to get than on my non-tweaked Generation. (Granted, I'm a woodwind player already, so I know what to do with my air.) I like how the air operates on this instrument, making it easy for me to bend notes for jazz and country to sound soulful. It's much more flexible than my Generation non-tweaked. The volume is louder than the Generation N-Tw, but it's not painful, it's pleasant. The tuning within itself is far superior to my Generation. Quite happy with my purchase. I feel like, if I practice, i can really begin to sound good now.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

`About three years ago i picked up the Mellow Dog D/C set from Jerry Freeman. I had an extra Walton Green head so.....i put it on the C tube! I tweaked the head and now have a really great Walton Freeman C whistle! It was my first Tweak! I did good. Jerry's brass tubes are really good ! Having said all this.....i really like his Mellow Dog whistle and i find it very easy to play! Sound is FAB!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

mickey66 wrote: Jerry's brass tubes are really good!

:lol:
CatDuet

Post by CatDuet »

I'm still playing this whistle (the Mellow Dog), and everywhere I go, people ask me about it. The last place was at a conference in Mexico, and in the airport on the way back, one of my friends was asking, planning to purchase it. It's a great whistle!