Problem with my Freeman Low A, please advise

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyler DelGregg
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Problem with my Freeman Low A, please advise

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I became serious about playing the whistle about a year ago. I've been practicing on the Blackbird C and the Mellow Dog D. I recently bought a Freeman Low A which is causing a problem. All the notes sound really nice except for one - the second octave D - 0xx xxx. No matter how I play it, it sounds really harsh, sand paper harsh, even gravelly. It just doesn't go with the other really nice notes. Is is me? (probably), or is it just the way its designed? Any advice really appreciated.
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Problem with my Freeman Low A, please advise

Post by JoFo »

Why not let another whistle-player try it and see how it works for him/her?
Then you'll know whether it's you or the whistle.
If all the other notes play well (including the other second octave notes?), I suspect it might be the whistle.

BTW, I assume you're actually referring to the second octave A (as it's an A whistle), which, fingered on a D whistle, would be a D.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Yes, I was referring to the second octave A (A whistle), as fingered as a D on a D whistle.
That's a good idea you had, about letting another whistle player try it out. I just have to find a whistle player; I only know a couple of recorder players well enough to ask....gasp!
Thanks for your advice.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And if the problem turns out to be with the whistle, check back with Jerry. He stands behind his product and, if past experience holds, he'll make things right.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Tyler DelGregg

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Thanks, I'll do just that, contact Jerry if needed. Hoping it's just my terrible playing.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Make sure you cover all holes properly and don't blow too hard (word is the A and G are perhaps slightly overstretched and fussy about too much pressure. I haven't tried one myself so can't verify that.). Other than that, invoke the warranty.
My brain hurts

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

That note usually isn't a problem. You don't have to vent the top tonehole on my whistles, btw,for the second octave "D". They work fine if you do vent, though. Are you in the US? The simplest thing will be for me to take a look at it. Can you send me the whistlehead?

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Tyler DelGregg

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Yes, thank you Jerry. I will mail you the head via US mail from Virginia, where I live. I'll attach a note inside. In the meantime, I am really enjoying the Blackbird and the Mellow Dog and will play them as soon as I get home later. The Low A is a wonderful instrument, too. I'm just having trouble with that one note.
Regards