Low Whistle Wanted. UK or Europe with Comfort Keys :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CutiePie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for a low whistle with 'comfort keys' in the UK or Europe...hoped there might be someone who could help :)

Low Whistle Wanted. UK or Europe with Comfort Keys :)

Post by CutiePie »

Hi everyone,

Brand new to Chiff and Fipple (and Forums in general) but I need some assistance.

I'm looking for a low whistle with comfort keys (at least on the bottom hole) in the UK or Europe for ease, delivery time and to avoid duty fees from the US to the UK. The lower the better really.

I can't find one anywhere!

Anyone have one they want to sell? Or any suggestions where I might find one?

Many Thanks! :D
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low Whistle Wanted. UK or Europe with Comfort Keys :)

Post by BigDavy »

Hi CutiePie

Tony Dixon TB012D may suit your needs, it doesn't have keys, but as it is conical bore the bottom tone holes are closer together. This should make it easier on your hands.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I've never heard of any low whistle that has "comfort keys", aside from those made by Susato.
CutiePie
Tell us something.: Looking for a low whistle with 'comfort keys' in the UK or Europe...hoped there might be someone who could help :)

Post by CutiePie »

Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to get someone to make one, but no such luck yet.

It's for my husband, lack of flexibility means he can only manage about a 2 1/2 inch stretch max (even with piper's grip) between the 4th and 6th holes, but it's still quite painful to do that. The Susato with keys looks like you can play it just like a soprano whistle ) which would be perfect...I think I'll just have to buy overseas.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

CutiePie wrote:Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to get someone to make one, but no such luck yet.

It's for my husband, lack of flexibility means he can only manage about a 2 1/2 inch stretch max (even with piper's grip) between the 4th and 6th holes, but it's still quite painful to do that. The Susato with keys looks like you can play it just like a soprano whistle ) which would be perfect...I think I'll just have to buy overseas.
Has your husband considered other low keys, besides low D? As far as comfort and ease of playability goes, I don't think anything out there is better than the carbony whistles. They are extremely light weight and conical, so really quite easy on the hands. The lower keys have the holes drilled at a sort of angle which also reduces the stretch. I always play low whistles with a piper's grip, but I could easily play the carbony low E, or even the low D, without a piper's grip, with no problems.... and with piper's grip, you practically forget the whistle is there. He also has a 30 day trial period where you can return it for a full refund, minus shipping. Something like a low E, F, or G whistle would likely be quite easy on his hands. When I play the G I feel like I'm playing a Bb whistle, to give some idea.

Also, though I'm pretty strict about only playing low whistles with inline holes, I think that if someone has a hand problem that makes it impossible, it would be worth checking with makers to see if they can position some of the holes offset to one side or another, if it would be of any help.
JohnRedhead

Post by JohnRedhead »

Hi, my hobby is making Irish whistles (when I get the time) ...but I don't think you said what tuning of the whistle you where wanting.
I don't do any with comfort keys ...but I always try to keep the holes as near as practically possible for ease of playability.
The approx dimensions of my low D are as follows :-
Length = 564 mm. Diameter = 25 mm .Top 3 holes "spread" = 72 mm. Bottom 3 holes "spread" = 72 mm and the largest hole = 10 mm dia.
I can happily play this whistle without needing the "pipers grip"
I also have a low G with the hole spreads being quite a lot less .....top 3 holes = 55 mm and bottom 3 holes = 53 mm.... or perhaps a low F slightly larger than the G.
So far I have had good feed-back from customers and have posted worldwide ...I am based in Yorkshire, England.
Hope that's of some help.

John. ( from http://www.redheadwhistles.com )
CutiePie

Post by CutiePie »

Sirchronique wrote: Has your husband considered other low keys, besides low D? As far as comfort and ease of playability goes, I don't think anything out there is better than the carbony whistles. They are extremely light weight and conical, so really quite easy on the hands. The lower keys have the holes drilled at a sort of angle which also reduces the stretch. I always play low whistles with a piper's grip, but I could easily play the carbony low E, or even the low D, without a piper's grip, with no problems.... and with piper's grip, you practically forget the whistle is there. He also has a 30 day trial period where you can return it for a full refund, minus shipping. Something like a low E, F, or G whistle would likely be quite easy on his hands. When I play the G I feel like I'm playing a Bb whistle, to give some idea.
Thanks for your great suggestions :) I was only aiming for a Low D because he's relatively new to music and has been learning on a high D. I figured (note wise for reading music) that would be a good transition. I've considered the Low G, which I think he'd get along with fine for finger spacing, it'll be my second choice if I can't find anything with keys.
CutiePie

Post by CutiePie »

JohnRedhead wrote:
The approx dimensions of my low D are as follows :-
Length = 564 mm. Diameter = 25 mm .Top 3 holes "spread" = 72 mm. Bottom 3 holes "spread" = 72 mm and the largest hole = 10 mm dia.
I can happily play this whistle without needing the "pipers grip"

John. ( from http://www.redheadwhistles.com )

Thanks John! I'll take a look with him later today :)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

[Thread revival. - Mod.]

You might try looking for used Sweetheart low whistle, or currently shop is Musique Morneau and does custom orders. Not cheap and located in the USA.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.