It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am
Posts: 4274
Location: the Back of Beyond
Quote:
you could pick up those three whistles and have a completely different view from mine.


I am sure we'd have different views on nuances but I like to think that broadly speaking we'd agree.

Clips can help form an impression. I always listen to clips on makers' sites and will avoid maker who put up clips I would consider not played too well. But that's probably a discussion separate from the present one.

Reviews can be tricky and having an inkling of the playing background of the poster can help weighing up things. That said, I have not been very lucky with whistles that had a history of being waxed lyrical about on the forums. So I handle what I read with care in most cases.

_________________
My brain hurts



Image


Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:53 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11703
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Mr.Gumby wrote:
Quote:
you could pick up those three whistles and have a completely different view from mine.
I have not been very lucky with whistles that had a history of being waxed lyrical about on the forums. So I handle what I read with care in most cases.

And quite right too! I'm with you 100% on that one. (As you'll have gathered.)

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2712
Location: Kinlochleven
benhall.1 wrote:
The Gen is the most difficult to play - if I was more in practice with it, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be the best.

From what I can hear, I'm certain it wouldn't. The Killarneys just have a tighter sound and cleaner response where the Gen sounds vaguer as well as less comfortable. So I might have got your Killarneys the wrong way round, but no mistaking the one I wouldn't want!

_________________
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Why I teach... and where
Master of nine?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 1301
Location: Wyoming
Got to play my new whistle at the session last night, and it was great. Fit right in with two fiddles, a flute, a concertina, and a bouzouki: lovely balance, tone, and volume (not too loud). It's a keeper.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:53 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
I guessed C was the one. Hooray me. :wink:

But I need to point out that the ramp may be the only thing that makes the difference; looking at Ben's pics, both Killarneys' ramp surfaces show tooling that I would have considered rough, and furthermore each looks differently done. I wonder if leaving the ramp this way is by design, from the maker's experience that such roughness is what brings out better tonal focus somehow. One would think it causes turbulence, but maybe that's the trick, and if true, how it's done could make even more difference. It's a thought, anyway.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11703
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
Nanohedron wrote:
But I need to point out that the ramp may be the only thing that makes the difference; looking at Ben's pics, both Killarneys' ramp surfaces show tooling that I would have considered rough, and furthermore each looks differently done. I wonder if leaving the ramp this way is by design, from the maker's experience that such roughness is what brings out better tonal focus somehow. One would think it causes turbulence, but maybe that's the trick, and if true, how it's done could make even more difference. It's a thought, anyway.

You're right that the tooling on the ramp of each does look rough. It's odd that it doesn't lead to any sort of roughness in the tone. Well, not to my ear, at any rate.

However, as to whether all of the differences are down to the differences in the head, you'll see in my original post that I tried to factor in for that:

benhall.1 wrote:
It occurred to me that a lot of the differences between the two whistles may be because of the head, which is just slightly different (as you’ll see when I put pics up). So, of course, in good C&F tradition, I swapped the heads. A lot of the differences were lessened when I did that, but not all. The old head played pretty well on the brass bodied whistle and I slightly preferred the sound to the old head on the nickel bodied whistle; the new head (from the brass bodied whistle) improved the nickel bodied whistle; but the best combination was definitely the new head on the brass bodied whistle.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:03 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
Oh, sorry, I missed that. But such nuances to consider!

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm
Posts: 150
Nanohedron wrote:
I guessed C was the one. Hooray me. :wink:

...looking at Ben's pics, both Killarneys' ramp surfaces show tooling that I would have considered rough, and furthermore each looks differently done. I wonder if leaving the ramp this way is by design, from the maker's experience that such roughness is what brings out better tonal focus somehow.


Gene Milligan mills the ramp of his whistles, and he has changed from smooth to somewhat rough, saying that it makes no difference to the sound, but is much easier to mill.

I expect that the edge smoothness is much more important than the ramp smoothness.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am
Posts: 4
Is that the real Ben, or do we have an imposter? Again?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:27 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11703
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
gobharp99 wrote:
Is that the real Ben, or do we have an imposter? Again?

I'm at a loss. What do you mean by this comment?

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm
Posts: 1441
Location: L.A. California
tstermitz wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I guessed C was the one. Hooray me. :wink:

...looking at Ben's pics, both Killarneys' ramp surfaces show tooling that I would have considered rough, and furthermore each looks differently done. I wonder if leaving the ramp this way is by design, from the maker's experience that such roughness is what brings out better tonal focus somehow.


Gene Milligan mills the ramp of his whistles, and he has changed from smooth to somewhat rough, saying that it makes no difference to the sound, but is much easier to mill.

I expect that the edge smoothness is much more important than the ramp smoothness.

My ramp is rough with obvious machine tool marks.
But it sounds and plays great. No problem.

_________________
Southern California Uilleann Pipers Club


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am
Posts: 4
HI, sorry if that was a bit ambiguous Ben. There was a lot of hassle the other year with a bloke on the whistle forums. He sometimes took similar sounding names i.e. benhall2 (as an example) and posted things he shouldn't be posting. Anyway, he used to do whistle reviews, so I just clocked this post and put 2 and 2 together to make 5, sorry :)

Joel

________________
"It's not because the flute's too difficult"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:06 pm
Posts: 2329
Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
gobharp99 wrote:
... ambiguous Ben....

Good name for a jig.

Best wishes.

Steve

_________________
"[Some flutists] place the flute between the upper lip and the nose, blowing the instrument from below. This position does not prevent good playing, but it does not look graceful."
~ Antoine Mahaut, 1759 in a tutor for playing the transverse flute ~


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:18 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 33354
Location: Minneapolis
gobharp99 wrote:
He sometimes took similar sounding names i.e. benhall2 (as an example) and posted things he shouldn't be posting.

This Ben is moderate. So moderate, in fact, that we even made a moderator out of him. It's been 5 years since, so he might be bored, but I seriously doubt he'd be leading a double e-life.

_________________
"Time is the wisest counselor of all." - Pericles

"I remain not entirely convinced of it." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:39 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm
Posts: 11703
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe
gobharp99 wrote:
HI, sorry if that was a bit ambiguous Ben. There was a lot of hassle the other year with a bloke on the whistle forums. He sometimes took similar sounding names i.e. benhall2 (as an example) and posted things he shouldn't be posting. Anyway, he used to do whistle reviews, so I just clocked this post and put 2 and 2 together to make 5, sorry :)

Joel

Not on this Whistle Forum he didn't. I've checked. There's never been anything here connected with my name such as you suggest.

_________________
"Only connect!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.081s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)