Larsen's C# cut

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brus
antispam: No

Larsen's C# cut

Post by Brus »

In chapter 7 of his Essential Guide, Grey Larsen says that on "some instruments" a cut can be produced on C# by covering the bottom four holes and cutting with the B2 finger.

Has anyone tried this?

I tried a variety of D, C, and Bb whistles (Generations, Oaks, Acorns, Waltons, Feadogs, Clarkes) as well as a Susato low D and a Tipple D flute.

For all but one, I got either nothing or the slightest wavering in the tone.

The only one to produce anything like a cut was a high Eb Susato.

EDIT:

Upon further review:

I'm not inclined to consider to consider the Eb Susato a success. Covering the bottom four holes produces something more like a C-natural than a C#. At least on the other instruments, I got something closer to a C#.
Last edited by Brus on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Larsen's C# cut

Post by colomon »

I agree that playing the bottom four fingers gives a dodgy C# on most of my whistles.

However, bottom three fingers gives a fine C#, and you can still cut (well, tap, really) with the top finger. Works beautifully on everything I just tried it on.

Oh! B2 isn't the B finger (ie T1), it's the E finger. Yeah, that doesn't do squat for me.

For what it's worth, I believe the formal way I learned to do this was bottom three down for the C#, and the strike with both T2 and T3 to get a "note above" effect. You can get a roll effect by using that in combination with the T1 tap. Sounds great, but I don't think I ever do it in practice.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Are you sure he wasn't suggesting cutting with T2 rather than B2? T2 works, potentially, but doing this would give a cut to a Cnat, not a C#.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm with colomon—bottom three down and "cut" with top hole.

Works for me.....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Brus

Post by Brus »

benhall.1 wrote:Are you sure he wasn't suggesting cutting with T2 rather than B2?
Quite sure.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Are you sure he wasn't suggesting cutting with T2 rather than B2?
Nope, he quite definitely suggests bottom four fingers cut with B2 and even has a diagram to show it (I've just checked). But, since the biggest pitch difference I've got with any of the whistles I've just tried is about a quarter tone on a Dixon solid brass to give a C# cut on a base note halfway between C# and C, I'd struggle to see its usefulness.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

When I roll C#, which I rarely do, I do it like this

ooo xxx
oxx xxx
ooo xxx
xoo xxx
ooo xxx

The pitch of C# isn't much flattened by having those three fingers down, at least on my whistles.

It's a true roll, with C# cut by a true D and patted with B.

What I tend to do, rather than a roll, is a thing borrowed from Highland piping, a "grip", on both C# and C natural.

The "grip" on C#

ooo xxx
oxx xxx
oxx oxx
oxx xxx
ooo xxx

On C natural

oxx oox
oxx xxx
oxx oxx
oxx xxx
oxx oox
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nope, he quite definitely suggests bottom four fingers cut with B2 and even has a diagram to show it (I've just checked). But, since the biggest pitch difference I've got with any of the whistles I've just tried is about a quarter tone on a Dixon solid brass to give a C# cut on a base note halfway between C# and C, I'd struggle to see its usefulness.
I suppose that's why I was querying it. It doesn't seem to work for me at all to do it this way.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Works okay for me on my Goldie Low D.