Ethnicwinds whistles and Nick Metcalf

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IanO
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I wish to take part in the general conversation about the whistle world as I have been reading posts for years as a non-member

Re: Ethnicwinds whistles and Nick Metcalf

Post by IanO »

Hi All,

I'm glad to have found this thread, although the topic isn't pleasing. Thought I'd add a note about my experience as an EthnicWind "customer" for reference...

I placed an order back in April 2014 (yes, over two years ago!), still unfulfilled as of today (30 June 2016). Since then I've probably emailed Nick somewhere between 30-50 times hoping for an update. I've only received three emails back in all that time - 2 single sentence ones indicating it should be sent out within 1-2 weeks (which it wasn't), the other a long list of misfortunes endured, but no useful information about my order. I've generally taken a fairly sensitive, patient tone as I try to think the best of people and trust the misfortunes are true. However, naturally, the experience has also left me feeling extremely disappointed and somewhat bitter.

The wait time I can live with (given the misfortunes and knowing that such waits are not entirely unheard of from instrument makers), however, the misleading communications and otherwise dire lack of communication, especially given he received over $120 from me more than two years ago is completely inexcusable and disrespectful regardless of whatever hardships have been endured.

It is a shame that something so easily remedied is causing so many people so much stress and at the same time causing so much reputation damage to someone who I am still hoping may actually be a talented craftsman. A monthly update BCC'd to all waiting customers would surely only take a few minutes of time and help calm the rage of customers who understandably feel that they've been taken in...and should vastly reduce the number of angry emails landing in the inbox, which must be soul-crushing.

Anyway, my intention is not to shame, but I do feel an obligation to at least post a warning for other might-be customers so they are aware there are risks associated with this vendor at this time. I certainly would've appreciated knowing this at the time I placed my order.

I'll continue checking in on this thread and post semi-regular updates - and in the meantime hope that I hear from Nick. I'm not sure if I should be dismayed or optimistic over his comment above that he didn't realise he still had customers waiting from 2-3 years ago.

As I've so far been unable to get useful information about my order status, I'd really appreciate hearing from other EthnicWind customers from the past 3 years, just to get a sense of how many people have had their orders fulfilled versus those still waiting in the dark.

All the best everyone and happy whistling (on your other whistles anyway!)

Cheers,

Ian

P.S. Recommendation - after having read so many rave reviews about Fred Rose (UK whistle maker) I placed an order with him. This whistle is an astonishing piece of craftsmanship. The man is a true master and a genius - perhaps the most beautiful object I have ever owned....just wish my playing did justice to the instrument
IanO
Tell us something.: I wish to take part in the general conversation about the whistle world as I have been reading posts for years as a non-member

Post by IanO »

Update: Shortly after posting the above message I received a reply from Nick indicating he'll get my order done very soon. Fingers crossed, will see how we go.

Will update on progress...
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

IanO wrote:Update: Shortly after posting the above message I received a reply from Nick indicating he'll get my order done very soon. Fingers crossed, will see how we go.

Will update on progress...
Excellent news!

I still hope to be hearing from Nick as well that my whistle will be done soon and posted!

Please let us know when you get it!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
IanO

Post by IanO »

...and, very sad to report nothing further from Nick/Ethnic Wind. No whistle, no information, no replies....

Best of luck chasing your order whistlecollector, please continue to post updates on your order here also.