Carbony Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Carbony Whistles

Post by Sirchronique »

I know there have been threads in the past about Carbony whistles, however, I am under the impression that the design of them has undergone some improvements since some of those old threads, and I'm interested to hear what people think of them, particularly more recent ones. So, I wanted to make this thread to review the alto G I acquired, as well as to discuss these and perhaps hear all of your thoughts on them, for any key, should you have any.

Between the poor reviews I've read, as well as the absolute crap YouTube videos of them that I turned up in a search (all posted a long time ago, aside from the Folkfriends vids, which are recent), I think these whistles undeservingly have a bad rap. I recently made a post about them in the "Irish Low Whistle" Facebook group, where most posters spoke very highly of them, and after recently receiving one in alto G, I'd have to concur with their assessments- It is an extremely top notch whistle, in every regard.

A bit of a review of this G whistle, from my perspective, which differs greatly from many older reviews I've read:

The volume balance between the octaves is, without any doubt, the most even of any whistle I've played, ever, by a wide margin. The top notes speak easily and evenly, up to the high B (probably beyond, if you wanted), and the whole whistle has consistent volume throughout. Not only that, but the top notes have a quite unique "texture" to the tone, which I find most interesting. The lower octave also has an interesting tone, somewhat clear, but round, and with a sort of "earthiness" to it. I had to analyse the tone pretty closely to notice, but there is a minute bit of breathiness to the sound, but it intertwines so nicely with the root tone that the mind doesn't interpret it as the type of breathiness you'd get on an MK, clarke, or chieftain, but just a sort of soft and subtle padding to the overall tone. And, again, the volume is consistent from top to bottom- no screamy high end. The playability is also consistent, with the only note that requires a /very/ slightly different pressure is the bottom D, but it doesn't have a noticeable accompanying drop in volume. The overall volume of the whistle is neither quiet nor loud, but quite middle-of-the-road, overall. It wasn't whisper-quiet like I'd read in reviews.

It also didn't have horrid tuning, like I had read in reviews . Also, the whistle is really quite responsive, both in regards to note transitions and ornamentation. It plays in the sort of way I like soprano whistles to play, but in a low G. It has pretty low backpressure, but doesn't consume a great deal of air. I never really had to think about air consumption while playing, and phrased tunes as I normally would. Personally, I don't like a huge amount of resistance in a whistle. Ah, and the whistle is tuneable.

Normally I'm not someone who even factors in "comfort" as being an important quality in whistles. You hold it in your hands and cover the holes- I've never played a whistle where this is a problem. You put it in your mouth and close your mouth- not a problem with any whistle I've played, regardless of mouthpiece shape. Well, despite not caring much about such factors, I must say this is an extremely comfortable whistle to play. Ultra lightweight, well shaped holes, comfortable conical shape, and perfectly shaped beak. You almost forget the whistle is there. Really very comfy. So, if you obsess over those things, you'll like that aspect of it.

Anyway, I like everything about it, so I'll stop the review there. It is comfortable, consistent throughout the range, responsive, and in-tune, and has a very lovely tone, and I really like how it sounds and reacts in the high end of the range. Oh, and even though I bought it used on eBay (for a steal, I might add), the maker told me it has a fully transferrable lifetime warranty, and that if anything goes wrong he will fix it and return it swiftly, which is another plus, despite the fact that they seem quite sturdily made. From what I can tell from the YouTube videos from years back, these have changed a good bit. They sound quite weak and very bland-toned and stuffy on those videos. However, that's not at all the case with this one.

Has anyone here played a more recent one, and what did you think? I'm also interested to know if the sound and playability is pretty consistent for the other keys, as I'd be pretty sold on this brand if the soprano and low keys were both like this G. Interested to hear of your experiences and general thoughts on these, particularly more recent ones, as well as your observations on the soprano whistles and lower keys. I notice they have three different models of D whistle, and I'm interested in learning a bit more about those, too. Please discuss. :)
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Re: Carbony Whistles

Post by AngelicBeaver »

I've acquired one in E. It's a fantastic whistle. I'd agree with everything you've said. It really only has two drawbacks, in my opinion. One is that the lower end doesn't have the "oomph" that a Goldie has, and the second is that the holes are a little smaller, making half holing certain notes nearly impossible. It reminds me of my Clarke Sweetone in how it plays. I'm interested in picking up a Soprano D and an Alto A or G. I suspect it might be the only whistle that's really a step up (for me) from the Clarke. I've posted a few videos of me playing it, although none are particularly good.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

The one I have (D) is easy to play, lightweight and comfortable. It generally sounds in tune with itself, but I haven't tried to play with others or put it against a tuner. It's very responsive and fun to play. I haven't tried playing outdoors to test wind resistance, but with a winter cold snap passing through, I may have a good opportunity for that tomorrow.

Drawbacks: It's not tunable, and I tend to squeak it a bit on the 2nd octave A and B. I'm pretty sure the squeaking is not a whistle problem, and is just a matter of getting used to this instrument. But time will tell :)

When I'm playing in the house, or learning new tunes, I generally pick whistles that don't demand much from me as a player. For the last few years, that's been a dixon..first a polymer one, and more recently a brass-bodied one I got as a gift. Lately, I've been keeping the Dixon in the car (for playing in drive through lines and the like), and practicing with the carbony. It just is a very undemanding instrument.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Post by de Salier »

I had one for a short while but I got rid of it pretty soon.
It felt very bland and sterile to me, every note was so clean, blowing harder would immediately jump to the next in line, you could not play with a single note by adjusting windspeed. It felt like playing an electric piano, in other words, fake...
It was perfectly in tune, and the volume through the octaves was amazing, but the sound and tone quality had no range or beauty
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I'll have to agree that mine has incredibly stable notes.

I can play a note (say G) in the second octave, and slowly ramp up my breath pressure..On many whistles, this will let you adjust the pitch quite a bit to add dynamic range to the note. The carbony just seems to just sit there at the same tone until the octave break.

Pitting it against my tuner, I'm able to get a -5 to +10 cents range by varying breath pressure. But it's not nearly as dynamic as many other whistles I own. I can usually get -15/20 to +25 on my Abell, for instance.

But that's one of the reasons I like practicing on the Carbony. As I mentioned above, I like non-demanding whistles when I'm learning tunes for the first time.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fotosled

Post by fotosled »

I have a Carbony B whistle which I can trade or sell if someone is interested.