Sourcing Tubing for Whistle and Whistle Body Construction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Sourcing Tubing for Whistle and Whistle Body Construction

Post by Sirchronique »

I'm looking to acquire adequate tubing for the purpose of whistlemaking, as well as a project I'd like to do that involves making a body in the key of D for the Sindt head that use the Db/C bore size. For the latter project brass would of course be preferable, but I'd also like to find good sources of other metals, or PVC or similar material.

Of course hardware stores carry such items, but I would like to order online and find piping that has a desirable wall thickness, in addition to the correct internal diameter of the tubing. I realize that what is desirable varies depending on key, bore preference, and desired characteristics, but I'd like to find some places online that carry a wide assortment of tubing to choose from, which others have had good luck with, especially for soprano D, C#, and C whistles.

I've been busy with tweaking whistles lately and am starting to get fantastic results, so I'd like to take it to the next level and start making my own whistles soon. I have adequate tools for working with metal, so I'm now looking for sources to buy supplies for constructing the whistles. So, in addition to tubing, I'd be interested in finding sources for other bits (such as delrin for the fipple plugs, etc.) .
Mr.Gumby

Re: Sourcing Tubing for Whistle and Whistle Body Construction

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you have very specific needs you can also consider to roll your own tubes see here for the general process. I have at least one whistle (a Generation Eflat I bought around 1972) that has a rolled tube (a cleanly finished seam is visible).
My brain hurts

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Sirchronique wrote:I'd like to find some places online that carry a wide assortment of tubing to choose from, which others have had good luck with, especially for soprano D, C#, and C whistles.
The brass tubing that many of us use for high whistles is provided/distributed by K&S Precision Metals. It comes in a series of sizes meant to nest one inside the other. It's called telescope/telescoping/telescopic tubing for that reason by retailers. http://www.ksmetals.com

Their products are sold through a lot of Hobby, Art and Crafts stores nationwide. Google is your friend. Lots of retail sources for the tubing. Some might be local to you. McMaster-Carr sells it online. Try this link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-brass ... g/=10fr4ok

They can also be bought from Special Shapes which is kind of the retail arm of K&S: http://www.specialshapes.com/round014.html

That's for small diameter brass tubes. Aluminum comes in a variety of sizes and wall thicknesses too. McMaster has some. Online Metals is a supplier I have also used. There are others.

Plastic tubing can generally be sourced locally through plumbing suppliers. CPVC is sold as CTS (Copper tubing Size) water pipe at Home Despot or Lowes - ivory in color, think Water Weasel. The 1/2" nominal size makes high whistles. The 3/4" size makes low G and F whistles. Schedule 40 PVC (white plumbing pipe or grey electrical conduit) makes B, Bb or A whistles. McMaster also has some other interesting specialty plastics and composite products you can utilize. If you have any interest in those I can give more information.

Wood tubes are an item you'd have to make yourself. I have not seen a ready source for such a thing myself. Making wooden whistle tubes is an adventure. It is an addictive undertaking as well. You cannot make just one. (Yeah, I spent the last three hours at a lumber supplier looking through boards for whistle making. I have it bad!)
Sirchronique wrote:So, in addition to tubing, I'd be interested in finding sources for other bits (such as delrin for the fipple plugs, etc.) .
Delrin rod stock is available from McMaster too. Try this link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plast ... k/=10fvjja There are other less costly plastic materials which are good for plugs such as PVC or CPVC rod. Similar sources as the delrin but generally more widely available - even locally through plastics suppliers in larger cities. You will likely have to machine any of these to get the correct fit. A lathe is a useful tool for whistle making.

If the McMaster links don't work, you may have to search their site to find what you want. Products do not have discreet URL's. Their navigation app generates them. So the above may get you to the right neighborhood but you may have to click some choices on the left-hand menus to get to the right street and house number.

Hope that helps some. Good luck with your whistle making!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Many thanks to both of you, as this is exactly the type of information I was seeking!

Interested to hear of any other additional info anyone may have, but this is enough to get me started with what I'm wanting to do!

The telescopic tubing is especially of interest, for making the heads, bodies, and, after I start making satisfactory whistles, tuning barrels.

And yes, Feadoggie, if you get time I'd like to hear of the other specialty plastics.
ron-man-pan

Post by ron-man-pan »

if anyone is looking for plastic or metal tube (or other shapes) check out here:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm?partnerid=92