Packie Manus Byrne RIP

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Re: Packie Manus Byrne RIP

Post by khl »

StevieJ wrote:
khl wrote:Read the news of this last week. Listened to the CD a few times since then. Does anyone know what kind of whistle he used?
BTW if you are referring to the CD that comes with A Dossan of Heather, Packie Manus didn't play on that because by that time arthritis had made playing almost impossible for him, and the home recordings that the tunes had been transcribed from were of very poor quality. Various whistles were used on that recording - old Generations in C, a Chieftain in F, a Susato in C, and wooden whistles with PVC bodies by J-F Beaudin.
Thanks for the reply. I was, in fact, referring to that album. I wouldn't have known it wasn't him playing if you hadn't told me. I was thinking some of the whistle playing sounded like a Susato or similar PVC.
Keith
MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

s1m0n wrote:
MarshMan wrote:I too am very sorry to hear this. I find it odd that the Guardian obituary is far more detailed, and dare I say caring, than the Irish one. However, thanks to all who've posted links.
Max
"[T]he Irish one" is a death notice rather than an obituary. Very different conventions apply.
Er no, I was referring to the Obituary notice linked to by Mr Gumby at 7.30 p.m. and not the Death notice that he linked to first off. But one thing I must make absolutely clear is, that I hadn't intended to make this a slur in any way on the Irish community, who are extremely close to my heart.
Max
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'm reviving this old thread to let people know that 18 February 2017 will mark the centenary of Packie Manus's birth. A celebration is to be held in Ardara, Co. Donegal from 17-19 February. I can't go myself, I'm sad to say, but some of you might be able to:

http://donegalnews.com/2017/02/set-pack ... y-weekend/

To mark the centenary I have stirred myself from my torpor and published an eBook edition of his memoirs (which have been out of print for a long time now). Still a good read, as I discovered on preparing the EPUB file. Available here: https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/recoll ... onegal-man

You can find out more about Packie Manus and his various books by trawling around http://rogermillington.com/

Cheers,
Steve
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Thank you for the update with the centenary of Packie Manus's birth. A celebration is to be held in Ardara, Co. Donegal from 17-19 February

I got whistling kids that love tune 'Forgetting The Lesson'.