Copper/Brass/Aluminum/Nickel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

What is the best metal for making whistles?
Price?
Softness?
Effect on tools?

Thanks
Nico A Budding Whistle Smith
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

On 2001-06-27 10:08, NicoMoreno wrote:
What is the best metal for making whistles?
Price?
Softness?
Effect on tools?
Dunno about any of those, but copper has to be high in the "available at local hardware store" scale, and PVC in the "nonpoisonous without having to be coated" scale. I'd think PVC would do well in your three categories too.

-Rich (boy, new boards sure make it hard to get work done :-) )
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

I wonder if copper would give a more warm and mellow sound. Some brass-instrument-makers use red copper for the bell to get this kind of sound. Are there any whistles made of copper?
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Several... Parkhurst, McHaffie, Elfsong...

The only copper one that I have is the Parkhurst. It has a nice sound to it. Put up against some of my other whistles people often choose it as the nicest sounding. I don't think that it has much to do with the material, though. At the thickness used in whistles, there really is not 'ring' to the metal.

Peace,
Erik
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

All of my whistles are copper!

(I am learning quite a bit about how heavy something really is!!)

I like the tone, but I find that it has a lot to do with the fipple as well as the thickness of the metal!

Nico
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I find that copper has a pretty warm sound to it, regardless of how I work it. Silver can actually be even warmer, quite milky in tone. Copper is supposedly a bear to work, but is also the cheapest and most easily available material....what takes forever is developing a fipple/blade shape that can reproduce the sound you want without hours of futzing on one whistle. The purest tone can be achieved using plastic, and this is because you can make the inner bore and air surfaces so incredibly smooth. P.S.: thank you for the positive input on my whistles....
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

If copper is a "bear" to work with. 7/8" OD Brass is a tiger. Nickel-Silver same diameter pretty similar to brass mistakes are a greater pain in the wallet.

Brass likes to grab your tools from your hands - you need very stabile drill press with a vee block that has holddown clamps.
It's prettier than regular copper and Nickel-Silver is plain beautiful.

I've also found that End Mills drill very nice on round surfaces.
Bryan Poe

Post by Bryan Poe »

Daniel, May I ask where you get your nickel silver stock?

Bryan