Beginner a little frustrated

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

STOP BEING SOOOO NEGATIVE GUYS! :D THAT'S ALL I'M GOING TO SAY.- T.S.C.

P.S. YOU HAVE TURNED SOMETHING POSITIVE INTO SOMETHING NEGATIVE AGAIN! SAD. :( I MUST REALLY INTIMIDATE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE. MOST BOARD MEMBERS ARE GREAT! ANYONE READING THIS THREAD IS GOING TO SAY. "EVERYTIME TAL SAY'S SOMETHING THE SAME GROUP OF PEOPLE HAS IT IN FOR HIM!" STOP MAKING FOOLS OF YOURSELVES. THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS THREAD THAT WARRANTS YOUR COMMENTS! YOU DO NOT OWN THE BOARD!!!! :wink:
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:STOP BEING SOOOO NEGATIVE GUYS! :D THAT'S ALL I'M GOING TO SAY.- T.S.C.

P.S. YOU HAVE TURNED SOMETHING POSITIVE INTO SOMETHING NEGATIVE AGAIN! SAD. :(
See? Much better. You're catching on to that humor thing, Talb. That's really funny how first you say all you're going to say and then you say something else right afterwards. LOL!

:)
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:STOP BEING SOOOO NEGATIVE GUYS! :D THAT'S ALL I'M GOING TO SAY.- T.S.C.

P.S. YOU HAVE TURNED SOMETHING POSITIVE INTO SOMETHING NEGATIVE AGAIN! SAD. :( I MUST REALLY INTIMIDATE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE. MOST BOARD MEMBERS ARE GREAT! ANYONE READING THIS THREAD IS GOING TO SAY. "EVERYTIME TAL SAY'S SOMETHING THE SAME GROUP HAS IT IN FOR HIM!" STOP MAKING FOOLS OF YOURSELVES.
Oh, this is getting funnier and funnier. Now there is even more you weren't going to say! :) Thanks for turning it into SOMETHING POSITIVE! :)

:D
/Bloomfield
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

MY LIFE IS WONDERFUL AND I HOPE THE SAME FOR THE REST OF YOU GUYS. I'M JUST NOT INTO ALL THIS NON WHISTLE RELATED STUFF. I'LL LEAVE THAT FOR YOU! - :lol:
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

P.S. YOU HAVE TURNED SOMETHING POSITIVE INTO SOMETHING NEGATIVE AGAIN! SAD. :( I MUST REALLY INTIMIDATE SOME OF YOU PEOPLE. MOST BOARD MEMBERS ARE GREAT! ANYONE READING THIS THREAD IS GOING TO SAY. "EVERYTIME TAL SAY'S SOMETHING THE SAME GROUP OF PEOPLE HAS IT IN FOR HIM!" STOP MAKING FOOLS OF YOURSELVES. THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS THREAD THAT WARRANTS YOUR COMMENTS! YOU DO NOT OWN THE BOARD!!!! :wink:
I hate to be negative, Tal, but part of the problem is that your grammar and punctuation is such that it is difficult to understand what you are saying, not to mention all the CAPITALS and exclamation points!!!!!!! Sometimes in order to have a positive outcome we need to look at the areas where we are not doing so well. If that is what you call negative then I think you are using the words "positive" and "negative" in a non-standard manner. Now, I do not see this post as being negative but instead as a positive criticism offering suggestion for improving the communication of ideas on this forum. Spelling and grammar are not chains that tie us down but standards that allow us to practice free speech.
Mike
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Guys I am really down now, some of my GOODHUMOURED slagging has gone down the tubes and has turned into serious [well.., who was serious here?] ARGUMENT. I am REALLY sorry about that now but sometimes I just can't help taking the PISS.

Or whatever. Maybe I'll just go out and play some diddly music with some friends.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun May 02, 2004 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Cheer up, Brian. You know what they say.
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle!
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...

...always look on the bright side of life!
(whistle)

Always look on the bright side of life...
If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten!
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing,

When you're feeling in the dumps,
Don't be silly chumps,
Just purse your lips and whistle -- that's the thing!
And... always look on the bright side of life...

(whistle)
Come on!

(others start to join in)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(whistle)

For life is quite absurd,
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin -- give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it -- it's the last chance anyhow!

So always look on the bright side of death!
Just before you draw your terminal breath.
Life's a piece of sh*t,
When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you!

And always look on the bright side of life...
whistle
Always look on the bright side of life
(whistle)
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield, will you do the Lumberjack song as an encore? Please...?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:Bloomfield, will you do the Lumberjack song as an encore? Please...?
Yes! Please.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Peter Laban wrote:Bloomfield, will you do the Lumberjack song as an encore? Please...?
Just for you, Peter. You've had a trying day.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K.
I sleep all night and I work all day
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea.

CHORUS
He's a lumberjack and he's O.K.
He sleeps all night
And Works all day.

I chop down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra.
I want to be a girlee
Just like my dear papa.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, and that's for you, too, Free Jerryman. :)
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Bravo, Bloomfield!
Yea lumberjack song!:lol: :lol:
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Meanwhile, back to the topic...

Post by stiofan »

Amid all manner of inter-board feuding, flailing and fernaggling, the thread in queston suddenly took control of its own destiny, and veered back to the topic!!! :D

Bob,

If you haven't totally given up on this thread (and you thought
playing was frustrating...), here's my $.02 worth: I would recommend trying as many kinds of whistles as you can--inexpensive and otherwise, bearing in mind that whistles vary alot not only between different brands/makers, but also between one whistle and another by the same maker, so it's not always so simple to say "X whistle plays like such and such, and Y whistle plays like such and such," although there are often general characteristics of a particular maker's instruments based on their design, materials, etc. Speaking of the material question, I've always preferred brass and aluminum whistles, but that's just my preference. I find most nickel whistles to not have that elusive quality of chiff that I like. If you have a shop in your vicinity that has a variety of different whistles, I'd just go spend some time there and play as much as you can. When I began playing, I bought as many different kinds of "low-end" whistles (beginning with D whistles) as I could; they're inexpensive, so at $10 or less a piece, you can try different ones to see what you like the most. Personally, the whistle in the inexpensive range I like the best, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is the Clare whistle made by David Le Bas, which I still play, even though I now have more expensive whistles as well. At some point, you may find it beneficial to try out a high-end whistle (though, as many a whistle player here can attest to, you may be at risk of the contagious WHOA syndrome), just to get a taste of the difference between different qualities of whistle designs & workmanship. As for how much of the issue lies in your level of musicanship, of course, as you develop your skill on the instrument, the whistles you prefer may change, along with your quality of playing. For now, try a few different ones, but most of all, just keep practicing, listening to good players, and enjoy your whistle playing!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Seriously now for a minute, listen carefully I will say this only once. <use mock French accent here> Just to avoid that both the professionals and the beginners leave here more than a little frustrated.

Talbert, it’s great if you give advice and opinions. Unlike your whistles most people here are neither thick nor dense and they will recognise good advice when they see it. And appreciate it accordingly. Telling your story in lower case may also be an idea, most people can sift out the important words from a sentence. It is not necessary to tell us all the time you know really well what you’re talking about, that you are so experienced and passionate. In fairness, you’re not the only one and in that respect you’re not at all special. Again, if your advice is good and what you say makes sense, people here will recognise that, appreciate it and respect you for offering your time and effort. Pounding and pounding on again about how great you are will only tickle our irreverent muscle and you are likely to be showered with slagging. That’s just the way some of us are, and we’ll never learn. You certainly had that right. We take to certain kinds of pomposity as as a dog to a bone.

Meanwhile, to cool down and to show you you’re not alone in your passion for music, maybe read Tony McMahon’s article ‘Music is the language of Passion’. It’s on his web site at www.thepuredrop.info. Think about the 'footsteps' bit, passion isn't enough, it needs grounding and continuity..

Keep well and remain positive.

[edited after Bloomfield did a grammar check and then again for a few small bits]
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Screaming at us (ALL CAPS IS THE SAME AS SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET) does no good, it has just the same effect as being face-to-face. Image