Ebay: Carved Wooden Whistle & Generation Bb??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Ebay: Carved Wooden Whistle & Generation Bb??

Post by MTGuru »

Interesting. Hard to see, but the whistle looks like an unbranded Meg. Here's the biblio info on the book:

IAN KEAREY. How To Play the Penny Whistle. 1998, Parragon Hardback (Bath, UK). Pictorial boards. 7¾" x 4¾". 60pp. Index. Notes [Illustrated with colour photographs.] ISBN: 0752525085.

Looks like a gift pack of the kind you see in high street shops around the holidays. The author has also produced a similar book on the harmonica.

Generation history is really hard to pin down because there's no institutional memory at Barnes & Mullins, or whoever they are now. The ABS plastic of the heads was an outgrowth of WW2 research and first widely available in the 1950s. Prior to that, Bakelite and Celluloid were the most common plastics in use.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Steve Bliven did not wrote:I just came across the 8-page booklet that came with my early 1980s Generations purchased in the US
Thats the one but the 1969 version is slightly clearer print (later one seems to be a poor 'facsimile') and it does not have the picture on the cover or mention Barnes and Mullins. There is a diagram of a whistle below the paragraph that starts "The Flageolet is held in both hands, the left being nearer the top" with the holes numbered but it shows a conical whistle.
Palimpsest

Post by Palimpsest »

MTGuru wrote:Interesting. Hard to see, but the whistle looks like an unbranded Meg. Here's the biblio info on the book:

IAN KEAREY. How To Play the Penny Whistle. 1998, Parragon Hardback (Bath, UK). Pictorial boards. 7¾" x 4¾". 60pp. Index. Notes [Illustrated with colour photographs.] ISBN: 0752525085.

Looks like a gift pack of the kind you see in high street shops around the holidays. The author has also produced a similar book on the harmonica.

Generation history is really hard to pin down because there's no institutional memory at Barnes & Mullins, or whoever they are now. The ABS plastic of the heads was an outgrowth of WW2 research and first widely available in the 1950s. Prior to that, Bakelite and Celluloid were the most common plastics in use.
Yes definitely a look of the 'gift pack' about it, had no idea about the whistle though well spotted. I now wonder if it's worth getting the indeterminate wooden thing of my first post in order to get hold of the book .... it could be a gem (?)

Lady from Ebay got back to me regarding age of my Generation Bb, can't help sadly it was a number of whistles unearthed in a house clearance
Palimpsest

Post by Palimpsest »

david_h wrote:
Steve Bliven did not wrote:I just came across the 8-page booklet that came with my early 1980s Generations purchased in the US
Thats the one but the 1969 version is slightly clearer print (later one seems to be a poor 'facsimile') and it does not have the picture on the cover or mention Barnes and Mullins. There is a diagram of a whistle below the paragraph that starts "The Flageolet is held in both hands, the left being nearer the top" with the holes numbered but it shows a conical whistle.
My booklet has no mention of 'Barnes & Mullins' but it does have:

SOLD ONLY THROUGH THE WHOLESALE MUSIC TRADE

Printed at the bottom of the cover !
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Thats the one. Mine is a single sheet of paper folded to give 4 pages each side.
How about rings from a coffee mug on the page with Loch Lomond and Men of Harlech ? (Huh, hadn't noticed that before, I thought I had learned it by ear).
Palimpsest

Post by Palimpsest »

david_h wrote:Thats the one. Mine is a single sheet of paper folded to give 4 pages each side.
How about rings from a coffee mug on the page with Loch Lomond and Men of Harlech ? (Huh, hadn't noticed that before, I thought I had learned it by ear).
Mine lacks the 'coffee' rings but I do have a tears along a couple of the folds .... it's in amazingly good condition for it's age really