LOUD whistle needed. Recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: LOUD whistle needed. Recommendations?

Post by MTGuru »

Well, a Copeland high D (brass or nickel) will do for orchestral work. A few years ago, the San Diego Symphony performed John Corigliano's Pied Piper Fantasy suite for flute, where the 7th movement calls for whistle instead. A friend of mine contributed her Copeland D, and reports are that it worked admirably unamplified to fill Symphony Hall. Of course, the fact that the score calls for playing mostly into the 3rd octave up to high-high g' helps. :o

I'm sure that Sir James Galway, for whom the Fantasy was written, would have used his favored Abell. He'll be peforming the piece again in March with the Detroit Symphony. Hopefully, with a better conductor than this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5szwz6Qzc
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: LOUD whistle needed. Recommendations?

Post by A-Musing »

Added input...

I once tried-out a Copeland brass Low G.
The office workers at City Hall, a mile distant, couldn't understand why their hackles were going up. Invasion of the banshees? LOUD!
I also once had some Susato higher-pitched whistles. Like the Copeland, they were VERY loud! And yes...clear.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?