Making soprano D whistle - need help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Making soprano D whistle - need help

Post by Narzog »

David Cooper wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:21 am That's the same problem I've had with the the last two prototype quenas that I've made: they produced two beautiful notes an octave apart until I started making the holes, but by the time all the holes were there, the sound quality had turned more to hiss than whistle. I've now managed to recover them both by reducing the window length (which is easy with a quena as you just file the end down to get your lips closer to the wedge, though it takes a lot of courage to make each adjustment when you know you can't reverse it). The mere presence of the holes must disturb the sound waves sufficiently to reduce the range of viable window lengths, so perhaps starting out with a movable fipple would help to avoid this problem and help nail down the ideal position for it.
If you use a calculator to locate your hole size and placement, you can make the tone holes before making the mouthpiece. If you want to finish tuning by hand you can intentionally make the holes smaller so you can enlarge them until they are tuned how you want. I find the Bracker whistle calculator works amazingly, so I just use that and make my tube first. I make all my whistles tunable though so I'm not sure if I end up sliding it a bit to be in tune. But when Its done the intonation is very good.

I'd think it would work similarly for a Quena.
Pastor_Woodworker
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I would like to learn to make Irish whistles. I was directed to this site by a musician-friend of mine.

Re: Making soprano D whistle - need help

Post by Pastor_Woodworker »

Narzog,

Thank you for your insight. In answer to your question the windway on my first whistle was about 6 mm wide, on my second about 8mm. They seem to produce about the same volume. Thank you as well for the Bracker Whistle calculator, I'll look it up.