What a great whistle!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What a great whistle!!

Post by riverman »

I recently aquired, thanks to the generousity of a good friend, a Tommy Dion Bb in gray PVC, and it is an amazingly great whistle! It is inexpensive, and what a nice sound! Kind of husky, louder than a Gen Bb but somehow not harsh. I usually wear earplugs when I play, but I can play this one a lot without them.
It has rather large tone holes, which I am sure contributes to the volume, yet my smaller fingers can cover them without trouble. And, because the PVC walls are thick, the last tonehole is much closer to the fifth one than on a thinner-walled Bb. This whistle is tough, and can be easily separated to carry in two pieces. I keep mine rolled in a cloth napkin in my book bag at all times--it is always with me.
I am computer semi-literate so I can't post a photo (I just don't have time to learn all the neat stuff you guys can do)! Nor can I post a sound clip (Tommy might not thank me for posting one :o )!!
But perhaps Tommy or another player can post one.
This whistle won't win any contests for looks because its gray PVC, but whistles are about beautiful bright sound, right? This whistle is finely finished and smoothed, ruthlessly in tune (including the cross-fingered C, 0XX000), and has a beautiful sound that carries across the landscape to delight all within hearing--unless they hate whistles!
If your money is tight and you're lusting after a whistle, check this one out!
I apologize for this sloppy, disorganized review, but I really think this whistle is an undiscovered gem that deserves attention.
And to the giver, THANKS AGAIN!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What a great whistle!!

Post by riverman »

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to add--
The whistle is very "forgiving," like a Burke, very easy to play. If you honk it, it's your fault!
There is some backpressure on the upper two high octave notes, which I'm learning to like, but no forceful pushing is necessary, not even close.
Thank you for your patience.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

riverman wrote:
I am computer semi-literate so I can't post a photo (I just don't have time to learn all the neat stuff you guys can do)

Thank you for the compliments Riverman. Here is a picture, however they are gray and not white. They seem to come out looking blue or white when I take the photos.

Last edited by Tommy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Cool, Riverman. At some point I have an A and a low G coming from Tommy. He makes great whistles.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato