Just started playing tin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Just started playing tin whistle

Post by MTGuru »

Mick Down Under wrote:Yes, I should have said it was one way of doing it. I tend to forget the more usual way as I like the sound of Grey Larsons method from his book 'Tin Whistle Toolbox'. Apologies for any misunderstanding I may have caused.
No prob, Mick! Just be aware that your description is not the technique Grey Larson describes, either.
Mick Down Under wrote:To cut, simply lift the finger on the bottom most hole of the note you are playing and put it back down.
Larson advocates "close cuts" - lifting the next finger above the bottom-most finger, not the bottom-most finger itself (except when there's no other choice).

I use all three cut techniques - T1/T3, close cuts, bottom cuts - as the music and mood suits, and all are good to have in one's bag of tricks.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Woodsy

Post by Woodsy »

thanks guys, trying it, but just not gettign it lol
OnlyAnEgg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Welcome!

I am a n00b, back after extended absence. I wish you well in your whistling experience!
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
deisman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Woodsy,

Just keep on blowing & let your fingers do the walking... - most note articulation is done w/fingers - occasionally using tongue, but 98.73% fingers... ; ) Break the tunes down into little sections & learn each section separately & put them all together. - takes hundreds of repetitions to learn 1 tune when you are first starting out, but worth it in the end. Used to take me a week to get the hang of a tune - slowly - another week to get some speed... Now I can get the hang in a couple of hours...Memorize everything - don't rely on scratches on paper.

Hang in there - it will get better - practice daily or won't improve much - Best 'o luck,

Deisman
I'm on it...
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Woodsy wrote:thanks guys, trying it, but just not gettign it lol
You really need to see and hear these things Woodsy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CQqbT0bIw

You might look at his other videos too.