Buyer Beware -- "Tin Whistle" crap now on Amazon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

fearfaoin wrote:I notice you can share a customer photo of the product "in action"
khl, you should send in a photo of yourself burning said product.

In case it gets deleted, I liked this review that just went up:
D. McCoy wrote:This CD has nothing to do with Irish, or tinwhistle or slow airs. It's just electronic static. I'm amazed Amazon carries it.
I'd rather listen to paint dry.
Well played, McCoy.
Thank you. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I just visited the link, and the reviews are there.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gallant_murray »

Wanderer wrote:I just visited the link, and the reviews are there.
They're new ones. The old ones got deleted.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
falcon16 nut

Post by falcon16 nut »

I don't post here very often and I keep forgetting my user name. It's starting to drive me nuts. :boggle:

Anyway, listened to two clips and then couldn't stand it. I posted a review and am hoping they won't delete it two seconds after it actually shows up on the site. Keep pluggin' away.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

I tried this approach in my review of one of his awful bagpipe cds.
A new and innovative way to make music. It was computer generated using software also sold by the artist. You can get the software and read about how the CD was made at his website: http://www.mocroi.com/. It's the second best thing to real bagpipes!
It's not really how a feel about the product, but at least it tells what the cd is and maybe it won't get deleted.
Oh yeah, I gave it a one star rating :P
Ramzy Berbawy

-Scout Finch
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

You guys are awesome! :lol:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

gallant_murray wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I just visited the link, and the reviews are there.
They're new ones. The old ones got deleted.
Bummer..well, I added my own ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

I have apparently been blocked from posting any reviews on amazon. How annoying.
Ramzy Berbawy

-Scout Finch
walrii

Post by walrii »

I haven't listened to the samples (keep getting an error on the download but then, I have AoL so I'm not surprised) however, that has yet to keep any C&Fer from joining a thread.

Regardless of how bad these CD's are, I would rather the guy have the freedom to sell them than for some nameless entity, be it an Amazon exec, a government beaureucrat or a self-appointed expert, telling me what I can or cannot buy, listen to or enjoy. With the freedom to converse and express opinions, we can keep ourselves safe from the scam artists. This thread is proof of that.

I shall climb off my soap-box and go play my whistle.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

I´m a customer at the british branch of Amazon (amazon.co.uk) and I can report to the members of C&F that the infamous "Isle of Skye Slow Airs on the Tin Whistle" is NOT sold there.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

walrii wrote:I haven't listened to the samples (keep getting an error on the download but then, I have AoL so I'm not surprised) however, that has yet to keep any C&Fer from joining a thread.

Regardless of how bad these CD's are, I would rather the guy have the freedom to sell them than for some nameless entity, be it an Amazon exec, a government beaureucrat or a self-appointed expert, telling me what I can or cannot buy, listen to or enjoy. With the freedom to converse and express opinions, we can keep ourselves safe from the scam artists. This thread is proof of that.

It's not really about how 'bad' the music is. I can handle people not being experts, even being rank amateurs, but this is something else alltogether. This is misrepresentation of the product to begin with, and unethical practices, as in shill 'reviews' from someone who used to sell them on eBay, and the fact that buyers who were not pleased, as is their own personal choice, were blackmailed to give positive feedback *before* they could get their money refunded for a product they were very, and quite reasonably, disappointed in, which is highly dishonest. *That* warrents the severe criticism.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

walrii wrote: Regardless of how bad these CD's are, I would rather the guy have the freedom to sell them than for some nameless entity, be it an Amazon exec, a government beaureucrat or a self-appointed expert, telling me what I can or cannot buy, listen to or enjoy. With the freedom to converse and express opinions, we can keep ourselves safe from the scam artists. This thread is proof of that.

The point, which I mentioned in my letter to amzon, is not to get the stuff off the market. I don't care who wants to buy or sell it. The point is that Mr. Hamilton is dishonest about his product. His calling the CDs whistle and pipe music is a blatant lie. They should be acurately labelled as computer generated music. Ask khl how it felt to think that he was getting whistle tunes and then hearing electronic garble come out of the speakers. Ask him how easy it was to get his money back when he wasn't happy with the product. The point isn't to take away Mr. Hamilton's freedom to sell whatever he wants; the point is to restore the buyer's freedom to know what he is buying. You accurately labeled Mr. Hamilton a scam artist. Scamming isn't protected by the bill of rights. I'll keep my soap-box handy. :wink:
Ramzy Berbawy

-Scout Finch
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Man, I don't know what you guys are going on about. His is a link to a tune created by their uilleann pipe software that is just totally awesome. I'll never play again. Why would I, the computer has obviously created the greatest pipe music ever played!

http://www.mocroi.com/humours.wav
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i actually bought Grey Larsen's Guide to Irish Flute and Whistle, brand new for 21$. it was a great buy. there are a lot there like that.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jileha

Post by jileha »

gallant_murray wrote: They should be acurately labelled as computer generated music.
Even that would be extremely misleading. Not a single tune I listened to maintained the same number of beats per bar... many of them are not the correct tune/intervals (probably at least partially due to the fact that his software can only handle a single octave)... the correct rhythm only happens by accident...

That's not music, but computer generated garbage and as such has clearly one single purpose: to rip off people. :x