Whistle by day, fiddle by night

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle by day, fiddle by night

Post by awildman »

Hi guys.

I found this forum via Clips and Snips. I've been learning Irish fiddle for almost a year now. Had the idea to play music on my lunch break. And I can't very well take a fiddle into to work, being exposed to the elements quite often. So I thought about a flute, but finances dictated starting with a whistle. Ended up getting a Sweetone and a Dixon Low D. I much prefer the Low D for airflow and tonal range. The Sweetone just sounds too harsh to me. Been playing them for about a month now.

The fiddle will probably stay my primary instrument, but the simplicity and durability of whistles is pretty appealing. Not to mention the cost.

Probably won't post a lot here, but I have found this site to have tons of information which is extremely useful. I'll definitely be lurking around awhile.

And some randomness: E dorian is my favorite key. Followed by A dorian.

Aaron
emtor

Post by emtor »

We welcome you, lurk around as much as you want. :)
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Not that I want to lead you astray from whistles, as I do love them so, but there ARE affordable and durable options for learning flute.

Doug Tipple flutes are around $70 USD for all the trimmings and are all you could want for learning on http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/home
Since they are made of PVC, they are nearly indestructable, they break down into a nice and easy to carry form, and have a great sound.

Of course, there's also (for more money) one of the many Delrin Flutes (I play a Seery and have owned an M&E...both great flutes, and JonC makes a great flute as well). Easy to care for, and likely the only flute you will ever need. Now, these Delrins come in at 500ish, but they are certainly cheaper than a fiddle.