terrible

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Boru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: terrible

Post by Brian Boru »

Walden wrote:[
This is a set of recorders.
If one collects recorders do they have the fipple obsession that can't be named?
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles.
If you look at the fingering for the first octave key of D scale on a C recorder, you'll see there's a vestigal D pennywhistle in there.

The fingering is the same, except maybe for a crossfingered F#. Then, if you look at the fingering for the key of G scale, you'll see again, the fingering is the same, except for the crossfingered Cnat, you use OXO OOOO on the recorder instead of OXX OOO that a lot of whistles use.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Actually, it's the Fnat that's cross-fingered, so except for Cnat, from D-C# the fingerings are exactly the same :) (O|OXX|OOOO is actually an alternate B)

Oh, unless you mean those wierd recorders with the straight F... but does anyone actually play those?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

One of the special events coming up at Grinnell College is a concert by Quartet New Generation. I'm really looking forward to it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles.
If you look at the fingering for the first octave key of D scale on a C recorder, you'll see there's a vestigal D pennywhistle in there.

The fingering is the same, except maybe for a crossfingered F#. Then, if you look at the fingering for the key of G scale, you'll see again, the fingering is the same, except for the crossfingered Cnat, you use OXO OOOO on the recorder instead of OXX OOO that a lot of whistles use.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Actually, it's the Fnat that's cross-fingered, so except for Cnat, from D-C# the fingerings are exactly the same :) (O|OXX|OOOO is actually an alternate B)

Oh, unless you mean those wierd recorders with the straight F... but does anyone actually play those?
Actually I do. It is my only one (of the 13) that fingers that way..and made my initial transition to whistles easier on my poor brain.
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
You must be playing very different recorders than I ever have been. The ones I played, fingered Fnat as X|XXX|XOOO and F# as some variation (depending on pitch) of X|XXX|OXXO. Was this different on the ones you played?

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: terrible

Post by Loren »

emtor wrote:I overheard a most terrible statement today. Someone pics up a whistle from a table in my livingroom and states:
"This is a recorder . . . right?"
I replied that the whistle isn't even a distant cousine to the recorder.
The other person did not agree and argued that the two at least were woodwinds and therefore closely related.
-The truth is folks . . . the relationship between the recorder and the whistle is roughly the same as you'll find
in cockroaches and human beings,-both being carbon based lifeforms.
-That's as far as I'm willing to go regarding the relationship between whistles and recorders.

Ah, well, this does explain quite a bit about your "instrument making" technique - but then, I have heard cockroaches can survive having their heads cut-off, and perhaps even glued back together, so whatever works for ya. :P

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Crysania wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:
You must be playing very different recorders than I ever have been. The ones I played, fingered Fnat as X|XXX|XOOO and F# as some variation (depending on pitch) of X|XXX|OXXO. Was this different on the ones you played?

~Crysania
On Baroque fingering, F-natural is x|xxx|xoxx. F-sharp is x|xxx|oxxo .

I believe the fingerings you describe are for the system known as "German fingering," which was altered to make it more similar to simple system instruments.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Not entirely. I've played recorders that require any of those fingerings. The basic fingerings are:

Fnat: X|XXX|XOOO
F#: X|XXX|OXOO

The other fingers down are to lower the pitch if the instrument tends toward being too sharp on those pitches. On the main recorder I used to play, I had to alter both a bit to:

Fnat: X|XXX|XOXO
F#: X|XXX|OXXO

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Chiffed wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:
There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles.
Yes. Recorders are obvously a more highly evolved instrument, played by more highly evolved musicians.

:wink: :devil:
How can they be more evolved if playing recorders gives you hairy palms?

OOK! OOK! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler