HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS ORNAMENT/GRACE NOTE?????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS ORNAMENT/GRACE NOTE?????

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

I have found this version of Finbar Fureys Lonesome boatman, it has these ornaments throughout, in the first pic the C note is a C sharp it is then followed by the little joined note symbol which is also a C sharp joined to a high D and then back to C sharp, in the second pic the main note is a high E followed by the same small joined note symbol, which starts with a high E then a high F sharp then back to high E, my question is how do you sound the first part of the ornament if your playing a C sharp or high E and the ornament starts with the same note your playing, or am I reading it all the wrong????.

Thanks sponge

Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

In the second picture the main quavers have stacato dots above them, as soon as you sound them you should stop them. Then there's a quaver rest before starting the next double cut.

?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

It just looks like a bad way to denote a cut. For the C#, a cut is tricky...
(again, this is a reason to play this tune on an A whistle, since that
would make the C# cut easier). I leave the bottom fingers of my right
hand covering the holes, and play the first C# like that, then quickly
tap my left hand fingers on their holes, as if I were playing a quick
high D, dropping back down to the C#. But, it shouldn't sound like
you're actually playing a D, it should be more percussive.
See Brother Steve's page on cuts:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... /cuts.html
Bloomfield

Re: HOW DO YOU PLAY THIS ORNAMENT/GRACE NOTE?????

Post by Bloomfield »

sponge wrote:Hi all,

I have found this version of Finbar Fureys Lonesome boatman, it has these ornaments throughout, in the first pic the C note is a C sharp it is then followed by the little joined note symbol which is also a C sharp joined to a high D and then back to C sharp, in the second pic the main note is a high E followed by the same small joined note symbol, which starts with a high E then a high F sharp then back to high E, my question is how do you sound the first part of the ornament if your playing a C sharp or high E and the ornament starts with the same note your playing, or am I reading it all the wrong????.

Thanks sponge

I really wouldn't rely on notation for the Lonesome Boatman. That said the ornament is a double cut, and you play it by first sounding the note, and then playing a cut, a short blip.

On the high e it's easy:

xxx xxo e
xxx oxo blip
xxx xxo

you can also play the blip differently, e.g.: xxx xoo or xxo xx for different sound.

on the c-sharp, here is how you can do it:

ooo xxx c-sharp
oxx xxx blip
ooo xxx c-sharp (or ooo oox or ooo ooo)
/Bloomfield
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

It's also known as a casadh
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I don't think the OP was asking how to play the double cut, he was asking how to start a double cut if you're coming from the same note that the double cut starts on.

?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Screeeech!!! wrote:I don't think the OP was asking how to play the double cut, he was asking how to start a double cut if you're coming from the same note that the double cut starts on.
Oh. Thanks.

You tongue the first note of the double cut.
/Bloomfield
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

Thanks again all,

now it makes sense, I further confused myself when purchasing Grey Larsens very hefty whistle and flute book, as grey uses another set of symbols to create taps,cut,rolls etc, but now I know what its called and how its played I can get on with it.

so a BIG THANKYOU :D :D

Sponge