Climbing whistlers???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

This is a long shot, but whistlers seem a varied lot, so what the heck:

Jim mentioned that he rock climbs (at least, when he hasn't any broken bones). Any other climbing whistler out there? And if so, are any of you planning on being up here for the International Climbers' Festival next week? If so, you might get to hear my band playing up at the Wild Iris climbing area.

While I'm on that, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed that whistles just plain don't work well in the wind. Since this is an outside performance (we'll be playing at the base of the cliffs so people can listen to us while they're climbing--the only bummer is that I have to play and so can't climb!) in the mountains, I'm a bit worried that if it's windy, game over. Any suggestions? If I design a whistle wind screen, could I patent it and licence it throught Thom's shop?

Talk to you later. God bless--

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The only thing I've ever seen or heard of in the was of a wind screen is the wall on Copeland low whistles.

I often play at cemetaries and parks and the like which of course are all outside. I have problems with the wind quite often.

Would a simple wall around the windows on soprano whistles do the trick do you think? Or is a more drastic measure required? I've tried rotating the window around so it faced me on my Generations, Oak and Feadogs, but it didn't help at all.

Does anyone know how the wind blowing accross the window of a whistle affects it? Would certain designs minimize this effect? I for one love to play out of doors, but I'd like to know I could play if the wind rises anything above a light breeze.

Slán!

Brian~
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah man, climber stranded in the flatlands here. Used to live in Boulder, now I'm reduced to climbing in a gym - talk about a let down, I miss Eldorado.....

I won't be coming to the festival I'm afraid, but I've been meaning to ask if you climb Tom, you living in Lander and all. Being a NOLS alum from 20 or so years ago, I have a vague memory of the place :wink: Do You happen to know Cody Paulsen or Chris Lander? If I ever make it out that way again we'll have to hook up for a few tunes and a few pitches!

Good luck with the gig, Don't know what to tell you about the wind issues...

Loren
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Mine whistle is terrible when I'm climbing around in Deadwood when it's windy. I end up turning the way the wind ain't blowing. LOL!
FairEmma
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FairEmma »

Hmmm. I have a vision of a whistler wearing one of those plastic veterinary cones that keep animals from getting at their wounds, although you might need ear plugs to compensate for the increased volume near your head.

Just imagine how you could bill your band!! :smile:

FE
(severely acrophobic)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

How about a HIKING whistler? I always carry a whistle when I hike in NYS Adirondack Mts. Nothing beats playing on a mountaintop!
Use a 2 piece whistle, and put the head joint on backwards, with the little square "window" facing your body. This will keep it out of the wind-- not a perfect solution, but it does help. Also, try turning your body so it shields the worst of the wind. Smaller, higher whistles are better outdoors than low ones. Good luck!
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Here is an easy (yeah right) solution!
Just get piece of something and shape it like a screen so that it is abouyt an inch above the window but tight to the body on the back. THen take the top part of this screen and make it tight against the area above the window. Next just adjust the bottom part to block the wind as much as possible

As for why it happens, I will take a stab at that...

I asked my physics teacher why exactly a whistle works and he explained this to me
____ _________________
___ --- / / /
_____/__/______________
The air comes in (the dashed line is air)
hits the blade and is deflected down the length of the wistle. Which hole you have open determines the bottom of the tube and the air will hit that area, but the air THERE will act like a wall because of its greater pressure. This means that the air vibrating inside will then travel back up to the blade and the sound excapes there. (the air inside is a standing wave). BUT when there is wind the air trying to get out throught window can't. It is either pushed back in or blown away, but at any rate that standing wave inside the whistle wont develop, and no sound occurs!

BTW I have never tried the screen, so good luck if you try it!!

Nico
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Interesting suggestion, Nick. I'll let you know if it works!

And yes, I take my whistles into the back country, too. Nothing like sunset in the mountains, a campfire, and a good slow air...

Tom