It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 am 

I've just ordered a TD tunable aluminium in 'A' for my Xmas present, (from me to me). :D

Does anyone have any opinions about these tunable aluminium whistles, as this will be my first, & most expensive purchase to date.

I do have a TD Trad Brass in 'A' which I really like, but I'm thinking this aluminium bodied one will be more mellow, but with a strong sound - is my thinking correct?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 am 

I have both the D and C aluminum. Although people's preferences vary, I have always enjoyed the Dixon aluminum in D and C. They have a medium volume and are quite responsive. My only complaint for the C is its tendency to squeak easily unless you really warm it up in the winter. This is not the case with the D. Of the two, I like the D better. Sometimes, the head is a little loose from the factory. Just add a tiny sliver of clear tape on the tuning slide and you're all set. I think they are good looking whistles. Regarding the A, I did not care for it. I've heard people play them nicely, but somehow my playing caused it to squeak and chirp a lot, a whole lot more than my other whistles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 am 

(Tried to post earlier but had internet problems.)

Thanks for your thoughts, sounds like it'll be an OK whistle, I had a little bit of trouble with my Trad A originally, but there's a knack to it - evidently. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 am 

I think you'll be just fine with the Dixon A. Maybe I should have stuck it out longer with the Dixon A but I had another alloy A that I liked better, that's all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:23 am 

I picked up a cheap Dixon polymer A (now replaced by the Trad A I believe?) off EBay as a 'backpack' whistle, didn't expect much to be honest but it was actually really nice (just a bit 'shouty' at the top end) and it soon became one of my favourite whistles, but getting something out of my pack one day the poor thing (not in a case of course) fell to the floor chipping a great lump off the mouthpiece.

So I purchased the alloy A to replace it and sorry to say I was a touch disappointed, it was a beautifully made whistle, the finish and quality of the body was superb but the tone holes were much smaller than the polymer (Gen Bb size) and mainly playing Low D I preferred the larger holes, and it was very quiet, airy and a little bland.

I don't know if it was a 'bad' head or if Dixon had changed the head design but the polymer was better all round, I'm hoping to pick up another one day.