Listeners

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bogheathen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: U.S. born expat on the road in Latin America with tin whistle, concertina, and guitar. My hobby is collecting tunes. Hope to get good at it someday.

Listeners

Post by bogheathen »

I've been a whistler for years, but now that I've stumbled on Brother Steve's page, I realize I've been wandering in the Outer Darkness, trying to pick up the style from books, notated music, and the occasional catchy tune that surfaces commercially in movie and TV soundtracks.

What I think would help me at this point is ear training...a small collection of the best recorded examples of traditional Irish whistling to soak into my head. And just solo whistling -- I've no interest at this point in guitar or orchestrated accompaniment or trying to pick the whistle out of session recordings. Just maybe a half dozen of the very best recordings of the very best players playing the very best tunes in the very best and most representative styles, to train my ears.

Suggestions?
Last edited by bogheathen on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right, it isn't the end. :thumbsup:
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Listeners

Post by An Draighean »

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
bogheathen
Tell us something.: U.S. born expat on the road in Latin America with tin whistle, concertina, and guitar. My hobby is collecting tunes. Hope to get good at it someday.

Post by bogheathen »

Thanks An Draighean. Found him, and snagged Rarities and Old Favorites. Excellent. Also ran across Mary Bergin and snagged Feadoga Stain. Seems like a lifetime of close listening right there. A few more like this, and I should have what I need.
Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right, it isn't the end. :thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Some I've enjoyed...

Conneely, Kathleen - Coming of Spring, The
O'Briain, Donncha - Ceol ar an bhFeadóg Stáin
O'Donohue, Bríd - Tobar an Dúchais
Potts, Seán - Number 6

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
bogheathen

Post by bogheathen »

A million thanks for Donncha O'Briain, Steve. Brilliant, and what a story.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

now that I've stumbled on Brother Steve's page,
You didn't happen to stray into his transcriptionpage while there?
My brain hurts

bogheathen

Post by bogheathen »

Just this very moment, Mr. Gumby. That's an amazing treasure trove of style and insight.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

After fifteen years the clips could do with an upgrade though. :oops:
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Top of this whistle forum page has a locked recordings thread with a plethora of whistle specific examples to choose.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72798

Style is something I think you develop over time with experience. It is personal. I don't think copying any particular top shelf whistler is even possible.
chas

Post by chas »

Mr.Gumby wrote:After fifteen years the clips could do with an upgrade though. :oops:
I'd love to see some more transcriptions. I learned so much from those during my formative whistling years,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.