Freeman whistles: where to buy from Europe (Italy)?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Freeman whistles: where to buy from Europe (Italy)?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Some people like Freeman whistles, some don't, and some have no real opinion on the matter. Some think they're good value, some don't (well, why would you if you didn't like it?), and some have no real opinion on the matter. Which is all fair enough, and all makers (not just Jerry!) need to accept that not everyone will love their product. Since I find these forums as a whole very pro-Freeman-whistle, I think it's healthy that other views also get aired. Whether a topic asking 'where can I get the whistle I've already decided to buy?' is the place for that is perhaps more open to debate, but I saw Peter as being helpful in suggesting a cheaper European alternative rather than overtly hostile to Jerry. While others may (clearly do) see things differently, makers, performers etc. posting here need to accept and remember it's the Chiff and Fipple Whistle Forum, not the brand X or performer Y fan club.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think it's healthy that other views also get aired.
I was going to leave this thread alone but let's put a few things straight.

The way this thread escalated had nothing to do with me posting anything remotely hostile. I tread carefully, being mindful of umbrage taken in the past. I simply replied to the question of the original post with a link to a supplier in Europe. As an afterthought I left a comment on the pricing of this particular supplier, and to emphasise the nature of the comment as an afterthought I posted it in smaller print. Anyone claiming my comment could be read as a comment on jerry's pricing should read my comment again as I made clear which prices the comment was aimed at:
Although, starting £42 and going up to £51 depending on type of whistle, you probably need a strong urge to get one
Clearlty, not Jerry's prices, as following posts duly acknowledged:
Yes, that site is a bit pricey!
and
British pound equivalent of what I pay for Jerry's whistles in US dollars range from about 31 pounds to 44 pounds. If I lived in Europe, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra 10 pounds or so.
In my mind both posters made abundantly clear they understood the distinction between the prices quoted and jerry's own prices.

In the following post, suggesting an alternative :
Keeping it to this end of the world, the Cillian O'Briain 'improved' is probably the more economically viable way to go if you want a lovely playing altered whistle for a reasonable (compared to shop mark up) price.
I was again Very Clear I was not referring to Freeman pricing.

The rest of it, all in the mind of those taking umbrage, based on poor reading of posts and perhaps an over-sensitivity to comment. Also note I did not in any way pass comment or gave an opinion on Jerry's products in any post in this thread, although I agree with Peter the odd critical thought posted here wouldn't be out of place or in any way inappropriate.

Thank you.
My brain hurts

Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've gone through all the listings and fixed the ones that excluded Italy. Thanks, Cheip, for bringing that to my attention.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I've done business with Phil Brown at bigwhistle.co.uk for many years. Several times, he's been on the verge of closing the site because it wasn't making money, but he loves whistles and wants to help keep them available. His retail prices include Value Added Tax, which the postal service/customs will collect from the customer if a whistle is ordered from outside the EU. That makes his prices look artificially higher than a US retail price because it includes the additional tax/customs costs, which US prices do not.
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Gumby,
There is a level of logic in your statements, but there is also indeed, an undertone that could be unpleasant at times. Tilbury comes to mind as I sit in the confines of my quiet study. However, do maintain your posts. I respect your experience and knowledge. If you ever make it down to Old Virginia, I would enjoy a pint or two with you. Perhaps we would enjoy a taste of Southern bourbon.
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

cheip wrote:I want to buy a Freeman whistle
May I ask you why?

If I lived in EU and had that amount of money, I would prefer getting Goldfinch whistles to Freeman tweaked ones.
I like the local consumption of locally produced goods.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

It probably goes along the lines of why people in Europe buy the Burke, Susato, Tilbury, Abel, etc.
cheip
Tell us something.: Hello! I am a flute player from Italy, I'm lurking this forum by years, and now I want to register my account. Really, I have a flute to sell, but surely I approve your rules, and I will contribute to the forum to gain the rights to sell something. :^)

Post by cheip »

puipui wrote:
cheip wrote:I want to buy a Freeman whistle
May I ask you why?
Sure. I read a lot of times very good words spent about Freeman whistles. I need a new whistle and I would try them.
puipui wrote: If I lived in EU and had that amount of money, I would prefer getting Goldfinch whistles to Freeman tweaked ones.
I've never read about Goldfinch, thanks for naming it! Unfortunately I don't like the sound of plastic whistles, I prefer "tin" ones.
puipui wrote: I like the local consumption of locally produced goods.
I don't care about it. I always want to buy the best I can afford. :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's a used one that may suit for sale here.
My brain hurts

Dereklilly
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer, I am here to whistle but you also need 100 characters per the error I keep getting

Post by Dereklilly »

Jerry,

Did I read somewhere Generation D’s are no longer available from your store?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

From a posting by Jerry in July of this year...
Jerry Freeman wrote:....A few months ago, I stopped offering tweaked Generations in Eb, D and C. As they come from the factory, the whistles no longer can be reliably tweaked, so I had to give up on them. (High G, F, Bb, alto A and tenor G tweaked Generations, however, are turning out better than ever.)
Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Would be nice to have Jerry here more often.