What is this low whistle please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

What is this low whistle please?

Post by Mikethebook »

Interesting low whistle on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302393296062? ... Tags=bu=bu. My first thought was a Howard. But it has no identification stamp. My second thought was one of Davy Spillane's Low Ds. But I'm not sure. Are there any other whistles that look like this . . . or is it one of the makes I've mentioned?

Here's a photo from the C&F archives with the first being a Howard, the third a Davy Spillane.Image
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: What is this low whistle please?

Post by Mikethebook »

The seller bought it in 1997 which is before Spillane started making his own whistles I think. Were Howard's ever made without the name stamp?
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

It could be a Kerry low D.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Really? I didn't know the head was roughly the same shape as on a Howard.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

According to Castle on Session:
It's a Howard head but that isn't a Howard body, I don't think Brian ever used a cork tuning slide
But according to the seller he bought it new from a shop in Ireland so one would imagine it came like that from the maker.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

A Howard head can be bought alone. Perhaps the tone tube is DIY?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Not if it was bought new from a shop, I don't think.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Tommy wrote:A Howard head can be bought alone. Perhaps the tone tube is DIY?
This gets my vote!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I think I vaguely remember (or perhaps it's just the power of suggestion) someone around that time making and selling these low D whistles. They would purchase the heads alone then make an aluminum body from a different (smaller O.D.) aluminum tube drilled for more manageable fingering - smaller hole sizes and closer spacing. Can't remember who it was though......
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for that, Loren. Interesting!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

But not terribly helpful without a name, lol. Wish I could be of more help but it's been so long....
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

No problem. I was just trying to help the seller.