Alternative high D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Alternative high D

Post by AuLoS303 »

Earlier I made a short comparison video showing the 2 methods of reaching High D on my Feadóg D (○●●●●● versus ●●●●●● overblown》). It seems both approaches give a clean note and it would be interesting to see how this works with other members' whistles.
(I wont post the video unless asked)
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Mr.Gumby

Re: Alternative high D

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Now try going to the d' from alternating higher notes : edfdgdadbd. Do this at speed.

Use both ways of playing the d', then re-evaluate which gives a clean note each time.
My brain hurts

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Now try going to the d' from alternating higher notes : edfdgdadbd. Do this at speed.

Use both ways of playing the d', then re-evaluate which gives a clean note each time.
I'm not that good yet. ..
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That should tell you something about the potential value of your video, shoudln't it?
My brain hurts

awildman

Post by awildman »

Also try cutting both of them with various fingers and see what the results are.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
That should tell you something about the potential value of your video, shoudln't it?
My videos serve as a reference point for me. I can look back at my older videos and see where I've improved and where I need to improve (same with my piano). It also helps my confidence.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

AuLoS303 wrote:(○●●●●● versus ●●●●●● overblown》)
They're both overblown. It's just that venting T1 helps create the node for the same second harmonic. OXXXXX is standard but, as Mr.Gumby suggests, they're both useful in different contexts. For example, try cutting the note with T3, B1 or B2, where the 'cut' sounds below the D with OXXXXX and above with XXXXXX.
awildman wrote:Also try cutting both of them with various fingers and see what the results are.
[Edit: just saw this after posting!]
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Depending on the whistle,
oxx ooo or oxx xox might
work too.Overblown.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My videos serve as a reference point for me. I can look back at my older videos and see where I've improved and where I need to improve (same with my piano). It also helps my confidence.
But why plaster them all over the internet for all to see? They are a good reference for yourself while sitting on your hard drive.

What are you saying with this particular video? That the two ways of playing are the same? Because really, they're not. There's a reason why the vented way is recommended, even if you're not able to see or test that. But you're telling other beginners that it doesn't matter. And that is not particularly helpful in the long run.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

oleorezinator wrote:Depending on the whistle,
oxx ooo or oxx xox might
work too.Overblown.
We're talking about second D... are you talking about third? In which case, yes, I treat OXXOOO as standard and other options as fine tuning for whistles that need it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote: But why plaster them all over the internet for all to see?
Leave him alone. He's learning and he's having fun. If what he's posting is beneath you, don't read it. We were all beginners once.

In the age of social media, Youtube is woodsheddin'. Being cranky at newbies is an easy way to depopulate this board.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
But why plaster them all over the internet for all to see? They are a good reference for yourself while sitting on your hard drive.

What are you saying with this particular video? That the two ways of playing are the same? Because really, they're not. There's a reason why the vented way is recommended, even if you're not able to see or test that. But you're telling other beginners that it doesn't matter. And that is not particularly helpful in the long run.
Because I like to ! Like I said above it helps with my confidence. I'm a very nervous person.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Peter Duggan wrote:
oxx ooo or oxx xox might
work too.Overblown.
We're talking about second D... are you talking about third? In which case, yes, I treat OXXOOO as standard and other options as fine tuning for whistles that need it.
Oops! My mistake! In my flute way of thinking
d3 is the high one.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

oleorezinator wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:
oxx ooo or oxx xox might
work too.Overblown.
Oops! My mistake! In my flute way of thinking
d3 is the high one.
Same here, but managed to mentally translate. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:In the age of social media, Youtube is woodsheddin'.
"Woodsheddin'" is, by definition, private. It seems to me that that is not what AuLoS303 is doing.