Looking for a sound

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brad.cecs
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have inquiries about the nature and sound design of whistles, and theyre makers. Since there is some debate on the tonality and pitch of instruments, its interesting to hear what people have to say

Looking for a sound

Post by brad.cecs »

So, many years ago I had a whistle that was a near brother in sound to this whistle here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmXA7hFKa9s

I CAN'T FIND THE WHISTLE and the many whistles Ive tried from Chieftain to Susato haven't come close. Anyone have an idea? Preferrably something under 200....or under 100 if youre darn sure its gonna work.

Bright, clear, clean and breathless...
whistle1000

Re: Looking for a sound

Post by whistle1000 »

It probably has more to do with the player, in this case the one and only Carlos Nunez, than it does with the actual whistle....not to mention the concert hall and the sound techs at that performance. It is a nice sounding whistle of course but it is usually the player that gets the best out of it. Possibly a Jonothan Swayne?
brad.cecs
Tell us something.: I have inquiries about the nature and sound design of whistles, and theyre makers. Since there is some debate on the tonality and pitch of instruments, its interesting to hear what people have to say

Post by brad.cecs »

whistle1000 wrote:It probably has more to do with the player, in this case the one and only Carlos Nunez, than it does with the actual whistle....not to mention the concert hall and the sound techs at that performance. It is a nice sounding whistle of course but it is usually the player that gets the best out of it. Possibly a Jonothan Swayne?
I think Id agree... A bit more digging and the design looks awfully similar to the Swayne images Ive found. I just can't find a whistle who can match that offhand timbre. The BW seems to be closest from the recommendation of a dear friend.

I did just order up a set of Susato Kildare S whistles for fun, I might order a few others in the Kildare line when I can afford a few low pipes
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

That is indeed a Jon Swayne..
How about a McManus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdt_CQUhzAY
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

Eimear McGeown makes Roy's whistles sound as they should do, and Roy is a gentleman to deal with, I wouldn't buy a whistle from anyone else since dealing with him.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK