It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wood Whistle Care
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:25 am 

Hello, all. I have recently purchased a D whistle made of apricot would from Moldova. It is finished in a tree resin , and the inside is unfinished . My inclination is that the whistle, including the inside, should be oiled periodically. However, the seller says he never does this . He advises just letting it air dry and keeping it away from heat.

I currently get great extended play with no moisture buildup from this flute . I'm concerned that if I start oiling it, that may change . I'm concerned if I don't start oiling it, it may crack . Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wood Whistle Care
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 am 

Depends a bit on where you live. I think Moldova is somewhat humid (?). Swabbing out the whistle after play would be good basic maintenance. (A small cloth on a chopstick works--as long as you can pull the cloth back out! Silk is nice because it's thinner than cotton.) I wonder if you're not seeing any moisture because the wood is absorbing it. In that case oiling the bore (maybe a few times to start and yearly after that) wouldn't be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am 

I would follow the makers instructions unless there is something obvious that needs attention. Usually, wood that is air dried will retain a higher water content than wood that is kiln dried. Maybe ask the maker what type he uses? Most commercially available wood is kiln dried, however makers can have rigid standards and I am sure that some out there harvest their own and specifically choose one or the other dependent on their needs/preference.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:41 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:59 am 

Is this a whistle with six holes? I have a Ukrainian sopilka made of apricot wood. It has ten holes including two thumb holes. Otherwise it sounds very similar to yours. I've been wondering same as you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 am 

If your whistle has a tuning slide, be sure to wipe ALL oil off the male and female sides of the slide. Depending on the oil, it can harden and basically glue the two halves of the whistle together.