Tune book suggestions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joeryan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tune book suggestions

Post by joeryan »

Hello all - I'm in the market for a book of session tunes. Anyone have a favorite? Best, Joe
Mr.Gumby

Re: Tune book suggestions

Post by Mr.Gumby »

'Session tunes' is one of those words that I never understand. There are tunes, tunes get played but there isn't a specific enclosure where specific 'session tunes' are rounded up.

Anyhow, hobby horse ridden, it depends a bit what your aim is, what your level is and what your current repertoire is. The cheap option is to download a few good collections from the interwebs: Henrik Norbeck's collections have enough material to keep you going for years and on Bill Black's site there are ABCs for many collections that are available as books (slightly dubious copyright wise but they're there for the picking).

In general, quick fix terms (what I suspect you're looking for) The Fonn seisiún books are very popular with some, if you're into that sort of thing and Dave Mallinson's are mentioned on internet forums often as well. Brid Cranitch's session books (the colour coded ones) and Geraldine Cotter's ones ( the Green one, another colour coded or Rogha among them)are definitely good stuff and if I had to pick I'd go with either of them before going Mallinson or Fonn Seisiún, but that may just be me.

There are many collections of newly composed tunes : Paddy Donoghue's collection is full of lovely tunes, Conny Connell's is free for download, Peadar O' Riada's compositions can be downloaded, an in bookform Vincent Broderick's Turoe stone, Seán Ryan's Hidden Ireland and Paddy O'Brien's collection all have excellent tunes. perhaps once youi have a basic repertoire sorted.

The Breathnach collections, Tunes of the Munster Pipers, Ceol an Phiobaire, Tommy Peoples' book are all brilliant but perhaps too wide ranging for your needs right now but they should get a mention anyway.Plenty more ofcourse but I am not completely sure what's in print right now : Donncha O Briain's collection was great for example, but I doubt you can find it nowadays.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

awildman

Post by awildman »

I like Irish Session Tunes Blue Book. More of a Cork/Kerry book as far as tunes and settings. Arranged in sets. Some fine fiddling on the cd by Sheila Garry.There are 3 or 4 books in the series. Pick your favorite.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Irish Session Tunes Blue Book. More of a Cork/Kerry book as far as tunes and settings.
That's one of Bríd Cranitch's.

If you want to go Sliabh Luachra 'Irish Fiddle Music from counties Cork and Kerry' by Drew Beiswenger and Connie O Connell is very nice. And Connie Connell's own collection. And the Johnny Leary collection by Terry Moylan.

If you want Kerry but not Sliabh Luachra, there's a series of books with music from North Kerry, compiled by Seán Abeyta, Paul de Grae and others. Drawing from the Well is one of them but there are several others I can't immediately think of.
My brain hurts

joeryan

Post by joeryan »

Hey thanks. By "session tune book" I simply meant a book of jigs, reels et al. I suppose "tune book" would have done the job.

Nonetheless, I got the suggestions I sought. Thanks much.

Best,

Joe
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Joe,
I have O'Neill's Music of Ireland over 1000 Fiddle Tunes.
Just the music notation, no ABC or chords so you have to read music.
I would part with it if you or anyone else were interested.
Mack
megapop

Post by megapop »

joeryan wrote:Anyone have a favorite?
One of my definite favourites is Bernard Flaherty's Trip To Sligo. As you might guess, it's all about Sligo. :)
return null;
thejoecole

Post by thejoecole »

Although Irish music seems to be the most popular type for the tinwhistle, I've been practicing/playing US Civil War era tunes. In looking for something a little different, has anyone used "Dansons la Morvandelle, Second Edition"? It is a collection of traditional French dance tunes. Just looking to see if anyone has any comments they'd like to share if they've played these tunes.

http://www.melbay.com/Products/AD111/da ... ionSId=T07

v/r
Joe
:D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

152 tunes from Morvan, a 'parc régional' in south Burgundy, presented in keys suitable for British players

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

None of your European keys for the british!

My brain hurts

sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
152 tunes from Morvan, a 'parc régional' in south Burgundy, presented in keys suitable for British players
None of your European keys for the british!

I have vol. 1., and the tunes are primarily in G, which of course makes them eminemtly suitable for whistle; the originals are quite possibly in C as that's a common French key (a C/G two-row accordion is much more common than a G/D for example).

Presumably the OP was indeed looking for Irish tunes, but there's a whole world beyond the Irish of brilliant whistle music from England, Scotland, and hopefully even after Brexit we'll still have access to the fantastic range of musics from Europe that sit very well on the whistle ...
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Mr.Gumby wrote: None of your European keys for the british!

What key of whistle should I buy, to play Mexican Whooping Lama music?
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

play Mexican Whooping Lama music?
ImageImage
ImageImage
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You asked for it:

Can't be 100% sure he's whooping, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

:lol:

Sorry joeryan for hijacking your thread. The people responsible have all been sacked, and the thread will be re-done at the last minute, at great expense and in a completely different style. :thumbsup:
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'm a book-oriented person, but frankly, so much is now available online that I can't see much point in buying collections of trad tunes. Anything you can thing of is easily found. Google any tune name you can think of plus .abc
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis