Music for An Droichead

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Music for An Droichead

Post by Mikethebook »

Has anyone actually transcribed the beautiful air written by piper Liam O'Flynn called An Droichead?
MTGuru

Re: Music for An Droichead

Post by MTGuru »

I think I'd call it a slow march, at least the way it was recorded. Without ornament:

X:1
T:An Droichead
S:Liam O'Flynn - The Piper's Call - Track 03
Z:MTGuru for C&F, 2012-05-06
N:Last time, D.C. to 2nd ending
M:4/4
K:G
B<d-d2 A3G/F/|G3F G4|e<g-g2 d3e|c3B c2BG|
A2d2 d2d/e/f|g2G2 e3d|c3A d2BA|1 G2-G/A/B/G/ A4:|2 [M:6/4]G3F G4-:G4|]
A2d2 d2ed|c2BG A3G|A2d2 d2d/e/f|g3f g4|
A2d2 d2f/g/a|b2af g2Bd|c2BG A2Bd|[M:6/4]c2BG A4-:A4|]

You should really at least try to work it out by ear. It's very straightforward - a major key, basic harmony, fairly slow, well within whistle range. Good luck!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks MTGuru. I had started to work it out but I struggle with having the time.
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

MTGuru wrote:You should really at least try to work it out by ear. It's very straightforward - a major key, basic harmony, fairly slow, well within whistle range. Good luck!
Thanks for posting the ABC, I appreciate it. I really want to learn how to do this by ear, but it's such a daunting task. I think once I try one and succeed, the others will be easy but the first one is so hard. I've tried on several tunes and given up in frustration. I can see how sheet music becomes a handicap.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

cunparis wrote:
MTGuru wrote:You should really at least try to work it out by ear. It's very straightforward - a major key, basic harmony, fairly slow, well within whistle range. Good luck!
Thanks for posting the ABC, I appreciate it. I really want to learn how to do this by ear, but it's such a daunting task. I think once I try one and succeed, the others will be easy but the first one is so hard. I've tried on several tunes and given up in frustration. I can see how sheet music becomes a handicap.
Hi cunparis

Have you tried the following? It's the way I always get people to start picking things up by ear, and it generally works. (In fact, I can't remember when it hasn't worked.) Play the tune (on CD, or tape or whatever your source is) over and over until you can sing it to yourself at will. Don't try and play it on your instrument until you can sing it (or hum it or whistle it [sans instrument :wink: ] or whatever). Then try and play it on your instrument, with the tune running in your head.

That's it, really. Some tunes are easier than others, but if you try it with a few, you'll get it, and it's a very useful skill to have.
drbyrnes
Tell us something.: I love Irish music, and I play the whistle, fiddle, guitar, and have just started learning the uillean pipes. I enjoy learning tunes from others, and I hope to share what I know as well.

Post by drbyrnes »

[THREAD REVIVAL - MOD]

I am totally ignorant of ABC notation, other than capital letters are lower octave, and lower case letters are upper octave. Would it be possible for someone, maybe MTguru, to post sheet music for Liam O'Flynn's "An Droichead" on a regular staff? I love this tune, but also have a bad ear for picking up music from listening; but once I learn a tune from the music I commit it to memory and then dispense with the sheet music. Thanks. I know this is an older thread.
cboody

Post by cboody »

drbyrnes wrote:I am totally ignorant of ABC notation, other than capital letters are lower octave, and lower case letters are upper octave. Would it be possible for someone, maybe MTguru, to post sheet music for Liam O'Flynn's "An Droichead" on a regular staff? I love this tune, but also have a bad ear for picking up music from listening; but once I learn a tune from the music I commit it to memory and then dispense with the sheet music. Thanks. I know this is an older thread.
I have it, but don't find a way to post a pdf and trying a jpeg from my dropbox didn't work either. Surely there is one???

You can get it here for a week.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0gt5tmppmqikb3/temp.jpg?dl=0
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Given up on learning it by ear then? :sniffle:

Oh, and a disclaimer - this is not my transcription and I don't know the piece. I've just tried it on whistle and it sounds OK, but don't ask me anything abut the transcription itself - I've just posted the image, is all.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am totally ignorant of ABC notation,
It is probably good to remember this type of ABC notation was originally developed as a means of stashing large amounts of staffnotation into lightweight files. Thee is an ample amount of (free) software available (ABC Navigator, Easy ABC, just to name two) that will easily trasnlate ABC into Staff. Several sites on the web have on-line ABC-staff converters as well.

Everything you will ever need to know at : ABC notation.com
My brain hurts

drbyrnes
Tell us something.: I love Irish music, and I play the whistle, fiddle, guitar, and have just started learning the uillean pipes. I enjoy learning tunes from others, and I hope to share what I know as well.

Post by drbyrnes »

Awesome!!!!!! Thank you guys so much for your help and posting of the sheet music. I did get the Drop Box file, and it printed out just fine. It is definitely the tune because I was able to scrap together the first few notes from ABC, and it does indeed start with B-d-d-A, etc. I will work on learning ABC, and get some software to convert the files. If you don't know An Droichead it is a beautiful tune; O'Flynn wrote it in commemoration of the inauguration of past Irish president Mary McAllese. I will learn it on the whistles first, then hope to learn it on the pipes. Thanks again!!! :)