Another new whistle player

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Franconian
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Another new whistle player

Post by Franconian »

Hi,

after being a visitor for quite a while, I wanted to introduce myself, as I've already found a lot of helpful information in this forum.

I just started playing the whistle at the beginning of this year and I love it. My first whistle is a Merlin Excalibur D7.

My wife made this wooden case for it, because I didn't like the original cardboard tube.

I'm 48 and hopefully not too old to learn a new instrument. I used to play the trumpet, but haven't played in a long time.

My Merlin will surely not be my last whistle.

More about that next time...

Dieter
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Another new whistle player

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the whistle forum. Enjoy your playing.

Nice whistle box too... put her to work with those boxes and it will pay for additional whistles.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Hello! and welcome to the nuthouse!
You're never to old to learn anything. :)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Welcome! I agree that you're never too late to learn an instrument. In fact, I think there have been studies that show that learning a musical instrument (and learning new things in general) actually delays age related cognitive deterioration. At least that's what I tell my wife any time I want to learn a new instrument :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

brewerpaul wrote:Welcome! I agree that you're never too late to learn an instrument. In fact, I think there have been studies that show that learning a musical instrument (and learning new things in general) actually delays age related cognitive deterioration.
+1
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sonofahoran

Post by sonofahoran »

Your story could be my story, only I am older at age 71. I picked up the whistle just after Christmas for the first time. Since I have been retired for a year, I have time to practice and I have been putting in a couple of hours a day for the past two months. With all the on line songs available, I run through a lot of songs each session. I'm not bad at the slow ones, such as Oh Danny Boy, Amazing Grace, etc. Not so good on the fast ones. I don't know if this is true of all beginners, but I have an issue with hitting the upper D note if my right hand has been off the holes for a few notes.

And, like you, I am a former trumpet play, albeit 50 years ago.

Cheers, Robert
Living the dream in Texas.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Franconian wrote:I'm 48 and hopefully not too old to learn a new instrument.
True story: when I was studying music at Edinburgh University some 30+ years ago (I graduated in 1986), my friends' landlady was refused cello lessons by one teacher because she was 'too old to start' at 70-something, but taken on by Kate (Kitty) Gregorson, our family friend and great Edinburgh cello stalwart who was then in her 80s and lived to be nearly 101!

You only get one life and 48 is nothing. I've been playing instruments all my life and still taking up new ones... the most recent being Scottish smallpipes at 48, border pipes at 49 and trombone at 51 (I'm 52 now). You're just (in three short words) never too old!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?