Differences in hole spacing/size on High D Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sonofahoran
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Differences in hole spacing/size on High D Whistles

Post by sonofahoran »

I see a lot of reviews of various manufacturers whistles. What I have recently noticed is that the hole spacing and size of the holes on various high D whistles is not uniform. And it has affected my ability to play the instrument. Since I started playing two months ago, I have tried to practice 2 hours a day, and I have gotten to the point where I can play certain slow songs fairly well on two of the whistles, but not so well on the other two. I have a Clarke, a Feadog, a Tony Dixon and a new more expensive whistle. The Clarke has too narrow a tube for my hands, but otherwise, I get by. The Feadog and the new whistle have a larger space between the L2 and L3 holes by 1/8", which makes it difficult to keep the hole from leaking air as my old brain cannot seem to consistently put my L3 finger in the correct place. In addition to that, the hole is larger (5/16" vs. 1/4"). The Tony Dixon works well for me and I am happy with it.

So, I ask the forum, why isn't there a consistent spacing for the holes? Any recommendations from the forum on whistles that might have a tighter spacing on the L2 and L3 holes?

Thanks
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Differences in hole spacing/size on High D Whistles

Post by Sirchronique »

There is a difference in size and spacing because that determines the tuning and affects the strength of the notes, as well. I can't really see how the distance or the size of the holes on any high D whistle would make any difference on how easy it is to play.

All high D whistles have holes close together, and I haven't played any that had holes too large for anyone to seal. As you've been playing for two months, I think it would be better to give enough time to learn how to play before thinking the issue is due to the instrument's design. I don't think you'll find enough differences from one whistle to the next that would make a big difference in how easy it is on the hands to play, because all high D whistles are easy to finger. The tubes aren't big enough to have holes that would be so large that they would be difficult to finger, and simple physics prevents them from being so far apart that an adult couldn't play them. I think perhaps this is a matter of just needing to give enough time to learn how to seal the holes properly.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Out of curiosity, why are you switching between whistles? Do you have a favorite you can stick to for a while? You might find it easier to transfer between whistles if you first get very used to one particular instrument.
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

All high D whistles have holes close together,
Unless they are conical, then a more even spacing is possible.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
All high D whistles have holes close together,
Unless they are conical, then a more even spacing is possible.
I'm not referring to the space between the holes relative to one another. What I mean is that on all high D whistles there isn't much distance between any two holes, since it is a soprano whistle and a small thing to begin with.

It is just a matter of getting used to where the hole is positioned and get used to covering it properly, which isn't a matter that requires a different whistle. Eventually one's mind will start cooperating with their hands and automatically seal the holes correctly after they get used to where they are, which shouldn't take much time, as on every high D whistle you can reach the holes with your hand in a relaxed position, without any need to stretch in order to reach them.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

99% experience (practice) and 1% whistle. It takes work and a lot of it to be good playing the whistle. And, yes, try one whistle for a while and learn all of its' quirks. Enjoy your whistling as it is not a chore.
Tor

Post by Tor »

My experience with whistles is more limited, but from other instruments where dimensions may vary my experience tells me that the best thing to do is to practice on one instrument only (read: With similar hole spacing and hole sizes), until it's as natural and automatic as operating a car. This isn't done in just a few weeks, not even close.

When this has become rock solid and you never have to think about it, then you're ready for an instrument with slightly different dimensions. It shouldn't be difficult to adjust to that one, and, more importantly, it shouldn't affect your proficency with the original instrument at all. Soon you'll have two or more "programs" in your muscle memory which you can switch between with ease. If you try to learn on two or more *slightly* different instruments at the same time then you may have trouble programming your muscle memory correctly.

(Note that I'm not talking about practicing something like a high D and a low D at the same time - that could possibly work, in the same way that learing a guitar (one guitar) and a bass guitar at the same time may work, for some. The problem is when a beginner starts practicing on two guitars with slightly different neck widths (say, 41mm and 45mm) at the same time.)
sonofahoran

Post by sonofahoran »

Thanks for all the responses. In answer to some of the questions..... I have bought a few different whistles most likely because of whistle envy. My first was the Clarke. I bought a Feadog at the same time but delivery was going to be about a month and I wanted to start practicing as soon as possible, so I bought the Clarke too, which had a quick delivery. In the meantime, I was reading reviews of other whistles and it seemed that the Tony Dixon might be more playable, so I bought one of his. I immediately felt that my play improved with the Tony Dixon whistle. I found that I was able to more consistently cover the holes and eliminate the squeaks. Further reading indicated that the Burke whistle was a high quality whistle, so I decided to buy one of his. That is the last whistle that is giving me some trouble with covering the holes. I've decided to put in more practice time before I give up on his whistle and my playing has improved. I would like to throw in a plug for Michael Burke while I am at it because he kindly responded to a couple of my emails very quickly. I am going to stick with that whistle for the next several weeks and see what happens. I am a retired engineer so I can usually get in 2 - 3 hours a day. My goal is to put in a 1000 hours of practice and see where I am at. 50 years ago I played the trumpet in the high school band, so I can read music, which helps. Some days it seems like it is really coming along and my fingers are automatically reacting to he notes on the page rather than going through the process of thinking which holes to cover. I love the Irish music and had most of the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem records 50 years ago. My great grandparents came from Ireland and I am loving the whistle. All the best, Robert
Living the dream in Texas.