The most repeated question on the Chiff and Fipple

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Can you recommend a good starting whistle?

Feadog or Feadog Pro D or C
5%
Oak D or C
5%
Generation G - Bb
5%
Susato S or V Series
1%
Susator L or M Series
1%
Freeman Mellow Dog
14%
Freeman Bluebird
9%
Freeman Generation
14%
Walton Mellow or Black
2%
Tony Dixon Trad Eb - C
5%
Clarke Original
5%
Clarke Sweetone or Celtic
8%
Killarney Whistle Eb - D
13%
Dixon One Piece tapered bore Low D
4%
Other - I will specify
12%

Total votes: 111

ickabod
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The most repeated question on the Chiff and Fipple

Post by ickabod »

This questions always seems to surface in one form or another. I thought I would try a different take. I see new users constantly try to get recommendations from the more experienced players. Sure enough, I was one too.

Thought a poll from the viewpoint of the community on the whole vs. one individuals recommendation might be an interesting take on this time old question... .

NOTE: The list I came up with is not at all based on my bias as to what a whistler should start with. Those are typically the whistles I see get recommended time and again.
Whistling... It's going to be HUUGE!!
saintninian

Re: The most repeated question on the Chiff and Fipple

Post by saintninian »

For one whistle not listed that I would specify, a Feadog Mark I is an excellent beginner whistle. Although they haven't been made for several decades, they show up frequently on sites like Ebay and Etsy. I have several myself, and every one is a winner.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm fortunate to live near a shop that lets you try out whistles, and the two that I've found are consistently good out of the box are the Clare brass D and Walton's nickel C. I have a wonderful old Clare with a split mouthpiece that I've epoxied together as my car-playing whistle. I've had good luck with Oaks, too, but they require more breath control, so I wouldn't recommend one to a beginner.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I challenge the premise. I think "The most repeated question on the Chiff and Fipple" is "How do I post an image?"
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I thought it was something about owning a cheap whistle and what whistle will make me sound better?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

kkrell wrote:I challenge the premise. I think "The most repeated question on the Chiff and Fipple" is "How do I post an image?"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree.

There's nothing wrong with starting out with a higher end whistle... there's just nothing cheap about it though. :D

I got a Busman high D early on and the whistle has been a gem all along. :thumbsup:
farmerjones

Post by farmerjones »

The Susator is the best choice. It's a combination tin whistle and tutor in one package.
Whistlin' since 2013
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Whichever one you find at the local 5 and dime.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I checked "other, I will specify".

The obvious answer is a sterling silver 1980s Copeland.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

ytliek wrote:I got a Busman high D early on and the whistle has been a gem all along. :thumbsup:
You forgot to post pictures of it. :lol:
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Lempriere wrote:
ytliek wrote:I got a Busman high D early on and the whistle has been a gem all along. :thumbsup:
You forgot to post pictures of it. :lol:
I didn't forget. The whistle looks just like the ones on his website.

My Whorfin purpleheart top, Busman marblewood middle, Abell olivewood bottom. Wooden delight as I didn't bother with too much of that plastic stuff and there is a good reason. Intonation. :D
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

ytliek wrote:Wooden delight as I didn't bother with too much of that plastic stuff and there is a good reason. Intonation. :D
So you're saying that wooden whistles have superior intonation to plastic whistles, irregardless of respective maker & design?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Lempriere wrote:
ytliek wrote:Wooden delight as I didn't bother with too much of that plastic stuff and there is a good reason. Intonation. :D
So you're saying that wooden whistles have superior intonation to plastic whistles, irregardless of respective maker & design?
_Regardless_ of your use of the word superior that is not what I am saying at all. Intonation is personal and something that you feel while playing. I happen to prefer wooden whistles for the intrinsic qualities manifested during the actual experience.
Lempriere

Post by Lempriere »

ytliek wrote:
Lempriere wrote:
_Regardless_ of your use of the word superior that is not what I am saying at all. Intonation is personal and something that you feel while playing. I happen to prefer wooden whistles for the intrinsic qualities manifested during the actual experience.
A: Your post clearly implied that the intonation of a wooden whistle is 'superior' (yes I said it again) to a plastic whistle, this is of course nonsense.

B: You don't 'feel' intonation, you HEAR intonation.

C: Your constant posts and pictures of wooden whistles has gone beyond 'preference' and borders on fetishistic.

D: Anachronistic as it may be I was quite happy with 'irregardless' thanks (I don't think anyone who uses the bizarre expression 'wooden delight' is in a position to take any to task about their choice of words)

Have a good weekend :thumbsup:
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

Not the way to win friends and influence people on this board, irrespective of your opinions of the views expressed. Chive on with the wood, ytliek.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan