CP: Whorfin Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

CP: Whorfin Whistles

Post by chas »

I have a couple of new batches of whistles available. Pics:

(sorry about the double vision in the side view -- flash evidently didn't come on, and the recessed lighting played havoc.)

None of these whistles has huge volume, although some are very pure and will cut through. They're a little louder than a Clare, somewhere close to an old-style Burke, nowhere near a Copeland, volume-wise. Unless noted, they all play very easily, with really nice (for me, at least) octave transitions and good volume balance between the lower and upper octaves.

Left to right:

76 – dogwood with brass – very mellow sound, RH3 misshapen. $75

85 – osage orange with brass – sweet, pure. $125

86 – [spoken for]

87 – osage orange with brass – very mellow sound. $125

87 #2 (believe it or not, I took counting theory in college) – tambooti with stainless steel – sound is a little more veiled than the others, takes a little more push toward the upper end. Really pretty wood. $115

88 – tulipwood with brass – traditional sound, open and bright, lovely wood. $140

89 – goncalo alves with aluminum – mellow sound, also doesn’t want to take a high shine, a very tiny chip in LH3. $115

90 – olivewood with brass – traditional, open sound, lovely wood. $125

91 – mopane with stainless – traditional, open sound, very shiny. [spoken for]

92 – bloodwood with aluminum – mellow, very shiny, tiny chip in LH3. $125

All prices include shipping in the ConUS; prefer check, accept paypal for domestic orders. International shipping at cost, payment must be via paypal.

Cheers, Charlie
Last edited by chas on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: CP: Whorfin Whistles

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Whorfin whistles -- sample 1 -- sample 2
Are these of the whistles offered here?
My brain hurts

chas

Post by chas »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Whorfin whistles -- sample 1 -- sample 2
Are these of the whistles offered here?
The clips are of my old teacher playing a prototype whistle a few years ago. I've tweaked the design just a tad, mostly for tuning. The sound is pretty much the same except for variations in hand voicing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
chas

Post by chas »

#85 and #90 have gone out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

And they stayed out! Again, great whistles; after playing them for a week, I bought them both. I'm amazed at the easy transition into the second octave, and how spot on the cross fingered C nat sounds. For future reference, do you make whistles in other keys?
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

I bought two Whorfin whistles earlier in the summer from Charlie (cambodian rosewood and a pear) and have to chime in -- beautiful whistles with nice finish work, tuning was spot-on, good balanced volume between octaves, great customer service, and the pear has the sweetest second octave I've played on a whistle. Great value for wood whistles. If only we could get a C and a Bb Whorfin...
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
chas

Post by chas »

#92 is gone.

A C whistle is in the works. My first attempt was MUCH shorter than I'd expected, which of course threw a monkey wrench in the works. The sound was spectacular, but the finger holes were in the wrong place, so I couldn't reconcile the tuning of the octaves.

Once I get one I'm pleased with, I'll send it out along with a D as rovers.

I just gotta get these three tables I'm working on done, then I'll be on the C.

Cheers, and thanks for the encouragement!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

Excellent! Looking forward to experiencing a Whorfin C whistle!
chas

Post by chas »

#76 and #87-2 are out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Seth

Post by Seth »

Can you help me understand the volume a little more? I'm needing to replace a missing Abell D and play in a relatively big act and need enough sound to carry over guitar, drum, bass, and bouzouki. I'm currently using my backup whistle which is an old Water Weasel, and that cuts through nicely. Will these get me where I need to go?
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Loudest whistle I've ever played is a Susato.

I just got my Whorfin in the post today and... it's not quite as loud, but the tone is as close to perfect as anything I've played personally.
Tuning is dead-on.
Not a whole lot of backpressure, but enough, in my opinion.

I think it's my new favorite. That said, if you don't want that old water weasel anymore...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

Seth wrote:Can you help me understand the volume a little more? I'm needing to replace a missing Abell D and play in a relatively big act and need enough sound to carry over guitar, drum, bass, and bouzouki. I'm currently using my backup whistle which is an old Water Weasel, and that cuts through nicely. Will these get me where I need to go?
I suspect a Whorfin would be a little too quiet for what you want. A Milligan session head whistle would fill your needs and the price is reasonable. Had one and actually traded it out b/c it was a little loud for my urban apartment living life (and the wife), but lovely sound and beautiful craftmanship. Does take a bit of air though.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
chas

Post by chas »

Coffee and Briant pretty much nailed it, Seth. The volume is noticeably less than my Water Weasel (significantly less than my Thin Weasel). The Abell I owned had a somewhat dirty sound, so some of mine might cut through better than that particular Abell, but it sounds like yours was cleaner sounding. (Bummer that it was stolen.)

Out of curiosity, is there a reason other than appearance that you don't want to perform with your WW? I own every key except B, and they're amazing whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
Seth

Post by Seth »

The only reason is that it's got quite a bit of age and wear on it and is not in as good a shape as I'd prefer. I agree, it's a stellar whistle, and I've played it a ton over the years, but I don't know how much longer it'll hold up. Looking to get another arrow in my quiver is more of a proactive move on my part.
chas

Post by chas »

These are all taken now except for the tulipwood.

I'm making a new body for the dogwood. I'm such an idiot for not doing this before.

I'm working on a new batch, which I'm hopeful will be available in December.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods