Sound Files for The Penny Whistle Book by Robin Williamson

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AcousticBuckeye
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Sound Files for The Penny Whistle Book by Robin Williamson

Post by AcousticBuckeye »

All,

Is there location where sound files that would accompany this book can be downloaded?

Thanks

AB
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Sound Files for The Penny Whistle Book by Robin Williamson

Post by Kypfer »

I continue to use this book as a source of inspiration. Unfortunately I don't believe there are any sound-files specifically recorded to match the versions of the tunes in this book.

A "trick" I've used, when I've had problems "getting the feel" of a tune I'm unfamiliar with, is to transcribe the original notation into ABC and use that to generate a MIDI file. This also helped immensely in getting my music-reading up to speed when I first started playing whistle.

Just for reference, another long-standing tutor with a wide-ranging choice of tunes, which can be bought with a CD, is Bill Ochs' "The Clarke Tin Whistle" http://www.clarketinwhistle.com/advance ... ook-and-cd which carries a recommendation from this web-site, no less! My version came with a cassette :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Kypfer wrote:Unfortunately I don't believe there are any sound-files specifically recorded to match the versions of the tunes in this book.
I think the original Oak book may have come with one of those paper-thin vinyl records bound into the book. I'd have to find my copy, and if the record is still there. Certainly, my copy of Williamson's other Oak book, "English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish Fiddle Tunes" (1976) has the accompanying record, with 7 tracks from the book.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think the original Oak book may have come with one of those paper-thin vinyl records bound into the book. I'd have to find my copy, and if the record is still there. Certainly, my copy of Williamson's other Oak book, "English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish Fiddle Tunes" (1976) has the accompanying record, with 7 tracks from the book.
That is pretty much as I remember it. I deleted an earlier post to that effect because I was not completely sure. Right now I'd probably say I had the 'other' book for a week from the library in 1978 and my only recollection of it is that I had no use for it other than learning 'The City of Savannah' from it. Which I still have to this day even though I never play it.
My brain hurts

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:with 7 tracks from the book.
Oops, it's actually 13 tracks - the record is two-sided - with 19 tunes in all. And the colophon page (page 2) of the book gives the track listing. I expect the Pennywhistle Book would have the same if the record was included.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Had to Google "colophon" !!

... anyhow, there's no mention of any recording in my copy (Oak Publications, 1977), thought there is reference on the back cover to the Fiddle Tunes book having a recording included ... I don't recall ever having seen reference to one for the Pennywhistle Book :(
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."