Carbony High D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ThomasNashJohnson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Carbony High D

Post by ThomasNashJohnson »

Hello There,

Apologies for starting yet another thread (my third now) asking for advice about a particular whistle. I'm happy to purchase 'cheapies' on a whim but after spending my hard earned on a number of more expensive whistles only to be disappointed each time, I'm loathe to make another bad choice.

So, can anyone offer an opinion on the Carbony High D and would you say it is significantly 'better' (a nebulous concept I concede) than say the Dixon Polymer High D?
'A Brilliant Sense of Atmospheric Changes'
Feadoggie

Re: Carbony High D

Post by Feadoggie »

The collective wit and wisdom of the C&F whistle community is available through the "search" function at the upper right of each forum page. It works very well. It's available night and day. And it is free! Every whistle ever made has been discussed, some more than others. :)

First search is on me. Click here.

There are a lot of whistles out there. Most whistles have their own charms. Some whistles come with their own idiosyncrasies. Just about every whistle will have its fans. Many whistles will also have their detractors. Asking for opinions on a whistle should bring out individuals on both the pro and con side of each. But ... mostly, the fans will respond to such a query. It helps some us each validate the money we've spent on a whistle.

Player's experience. needs, requirements and expectations will vary greatly. What works for one player may not work for another. The variables that make up a whistle are all relative to one's experience. What is quiet to me may not be quiet to you. What is easy to play for me may not be easy to you. So asking if one whistle is "better" than another is loaded question. What I look for in a whistle may not be what you look for. We are all different. You are a unique individual. What are your requirements, needs and expectations?

We all buy a lot of whistles looking for the one that works best for us. And we all usually find ones we like. But that does not mean my whistles would work for you. There is no one whistle to rule them all.

It is also worth noting that the good players can make just about any whistle sound terrific. It's not about the whistle. It's about the music and how you play it.

I've heard that Oak whistles are great. I like 'em. I'm a fan. They have their charms and their idiosyncrasies.

Play what you got. Or buy 'em all. Or ask about them all. We do like to talk about whistles here. :)

The Carbony fans will be along shortly.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ThomasNashJohnson

Feadoggie wrote:The collective wit and wisdom of the C&F whistle community is available through the "search" function at the upper right of each forum page. It works very well. It's available night and day. And it is free! Every whistle ever made has been discussed, some more than others

This is the second occasion (my Dixon Polymer thread being the first) that you have somewhat tartly 'guided' me towards the mighty 'Search Function' once again thank you. I did in fact consult this all knowing oracle only to find most Carbony related threads were regarding the Low D, hence my decision to start this one (I assume this is permissible if the oracle doesn't give me the answer I seek?) Please also consider that if everyone seeking advice simply consulted the oracle and no new threads were posted, this fine board would soon become moribund.
Feadoggie wrote:First search is on me. Click here.
Oh, too kind.
Feadoggie wrote:We do like to talk about whistles here.
Yet I am rebuked (albeit mildly) for starting a thread about a whistle instead of consulting your beloved 'Search Function'?
Feadoggie wrote:The Carbony fans will be along shortly.
I do hope so.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

There was nothing tart or rebuking intended in my comments above. Just trying to be helpful. I am an old f@rt and we sometimes just sound curt. Apologies.

I suggest the search because it can save you a lot of time and give you a lot of information. Glad you used it.

My search was simply for "carbony". Maybe I should have tried "carbony high" in my gift search. I stand rebuked.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ThomasNashJohnson

Feadoggie wrote:There was nothing tart or rebuking intended in my comments above. Just trying to be helpful. I am an old f@rt and we sometimes just sound curt. Apologies.

I suggest the search because it can save you a lot of time and give you a lot of information. Glad you used it.

My search was simply for "carbony". Maybe I should have tried "carbony high" in my gift search. I stand rebuked.

Feadoggie
No apology needed Feadoggie, I was merely being jocular as you were.

And are you really an 'old fort' ?

http://www.oldindianphotos.in/2013/03/p ... 1900s.html
megapop

Post by megapop »

ThomasNashJohnson wrote:I'm happy to purchase 'cheapies' on a whim but after spending my hard earned on a number of more expensive whistles only to be disappointed each time, I'm loathe to make another bad choice.
So...?

Feadoggie wrote:I've heard that Oak whistles are great.
Wait, I've heard that too! If I could only remember where... :)
Last edited by megapop on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
ThomasNashJohnson

Great post, thanks.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I have a Carbony high D that I really like. I'm not a fan of high-backpressure or really loud whistles, so like you I was disappointed by some more expensive options myself. However, once I got a Carbony I was very happy. The volume balance across the octaves is great, and it's the most in-tune whistle I've played, likely due to its conical shape. C natural is spot on in both octaves, and the whole thing's light as a feather.

You can see me playing a tune on it here: http://youtu.be/KTt-hCZoLcg
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I tried a Carbony high D at the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival and was very impressed. I was more interested in his flutes (not as impressed by them), but really liked the sound of the high D. It has a very sweet and pure tone (reminded me of a composite Burke, actually) and it looks really cool. The only way to make a decision like this, however, is to actually play one or get it "on approval" from the maker (some of them do that).
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

plunk111 wrote: The only way to make a decision like this, however, is to actually play one or get it "on approval" from the maker (some of them do that).
Rob offers a 30-day return policy. I told him point-blank I wasn't going to buy it if I couldn't play it beforehand, and he was very kind.
ThomasNashJohnson

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:You can see me playing a tune on it here: http://youtu.be/KTt-hCZoLcg
Lovely whistle (and playing) thanks for posting this.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I also played the Carbony at Dublin. It was a nice whistle but I much prefer the Burkes.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
maki

Post by maki »

ThomasNashJohnson wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:You can see me playing a tune on it here: http://youtu.be/KTt-hCZoLcg
Lovely whistle (and playing) thanks for posting this.
I'll second that, nice playing.
MadmanWithaWhistle

maki wrote:
ThomasNashJohnson wrote:Lovely whistle (and playing) thanks for posting this.
I'll second that, nice playing.
Aw, thanks.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I have a Carbony high D that I really like. I'm not a fan of high-backpressure or really loud whistles, so like you I was disappointed by some more expensive options myself. However, once I got a Carbony I was very happy. The volume balance across the octaves is great, and it's the most in-tune whistle I've played, likely due to its conical shape. C natural is spot on in both octaves, and the whole thing's light as a feather.

You can see me playing a tune on it here: http://youtu.be/KTt-hCZoLcg

Lovely playing ... I learned the tune by playing along with you today! :) (And ... unadorned recordings or videos are very helpful for those who are asking about a specific whistle.)