In Praise of the Mighty OAK

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Christophe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: In Praise of the Mighty OAK

Post by Christophe »

I'm a bit confused about Oak whistles. I own an oak D and an oak C, they're absolutely similar to my Feadog C and Feadog pro D : same mouthpieces, same tube thickness, same holes spacing, same sound. I like the clear and loud sound of both C whistles, but both D ones sound raspy to my ears. I also own an acorn D which is identical to a regular feadog. I remember saying this already in an old thread.

So, does the mighty D Oak Thomas is raving about look different or similar to a feadog ? In the case there are several models under the Oak brand, where ( in europe ) can I get one of these that wouldn't be a rebranded feadog ?

BTW, about cheap whistles, Waltons often get mixed reviews. I happen to have found two Waltons I'm quite happy with, after having swapped the tubes for feadog ones, because of that damn vernish, and filled the cavity with poster putty. They have the traditionnal sound I like, and are a bit louder than my generations. These are my home wandering whistles. Most whistlers on forums and in sessions get sarcastic when I tell them about Waltons.... Am I really the only one who's found good sounding ones ? Is there a secret society of Walton users I can join under an assumed name ?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Christophe wrote:BTW, about cheap whistles, Waltons often get mixed reviews. I happen to have found two Waltons I'm quite happy with, after having swapped the tubes for feadog ones, because of that damn vernish, and filled the cavity with poster putty. They have the traditionnal sound I like, and are a bit louder than my generations. These are my home wandering whistles. Most whistlers on forums and in sessions get sarcastic when I tell them about Waltons.... Am I really the only one who's found good sounding ones ? Is there a secret society of Walton users I can join under an assumed name ?
No, I have each of the Walton whistles. Even with the varnish. The Walton whistle I like the most is the Mellow D wide bore.
http://waltonsmusic.com/tinwhistles.html

Not to deter the thread, I too have the Oak D & C nickel tubes and I don't feel the need to swap the tubes with anything else. As is, is just fine. The Oak D here is $11.95. Nice!
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Ytliek, I meant I replaced the tubes of my Waltons with feadog tubes, I didn't mean I swapped the tubes of my Oak whistles, I must have mistyped something. I too have a walton mellow but haven't been happy with the sound. I removed the vernish wth acetone, and then put a feadog C mouthpiece on top, and then a ring of tape to lower the bottom D. It gave me a decent traditionnal souding whistle, and noticeably louder than a regular D. Then I went for a Freeman mellow dog, whose tube is much more in tune than the mellow dog tube.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Well, it's not free shipping is it? It's included in the price. But Yes, very nice whistle, the Eflat is my favourite whistle now. Can't beat it.
Well it's just that the price is the same if you're either in Ireland or in Canada, for example. So if shipping is included in the price, then the Irish are getting robbed ;-)
Billgh

Post by Billgh »

Well it's just that the price is the same if you're either in Ireland or in Canada, for example. So if shipping is included in the price, then the Irish are getting robbed
Especially when you consider that, with the tariffs involved, those in the EU end up paying quite a bit more for American or Canadian products than North Americans, according to some of the posts in this thread.

BTW that is not a political comment. It's just a fact.