Fake Freeman?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingRufus
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fake Freeman?

Post by WhistlingRufus »

On Ebay there is someone selling a Freeman Tweaked Generation, yet there is no Freeman sticker on it and the blade doesn't appear to be altered. Any opinions?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freeman-Whistle ... 23230704c6
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Fake Freeman?

Post by ecohawk »

It's not a Freeman whistle. Period.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

In a backhanded way, it's sort of a testament to Jerry's skills and quality of work that someone would offer a fake Freeman... Not sayin' it's right, just sayin'

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
bigskybri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bigskybri »

He copied Jerry's auction title and priced his Generation cheaper. Lacking an item description, it's obvious he doesn't know the difference between a non-tweaked Generation and a tweaked. Doubt it is intentional, since doing a search on ebay for Generation whistles brings up more of Jerry's tweaked Generation's than non-tweaked. To a non-musician, all Generations are probably the same....
supergeo

Post by supergeo »

I bet it was intentional. There are a lot of scams on ebay. People add extra words to get more cash out of an item. I see a lot of people advertising "antique" or "vintage" Clarkes that are just used examples of the current model. One seller always writes "rare" and "hard to find" in the titles of the cheap, common instruments he/she sells. Buyer beware on ebay for any type of used whistle.
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

It would be nice to see Jerry weigh in on this one. I tried to enlarge the photo and there seems like there may be a more translucent piece of material affixed to the blade? I know that of the several Freeman Tweaks I have, Jerry used materials that varied, some being more translucent, the other more opaque. The mere lack of a sticker does not constitute a counterfeit. I guess I would wonder what would motivate someone to enter into an intetional effort to defraud for so little gain??? Hopefully they did not.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

FWIW, no sticker lasts forever...
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Regardless.... My advice to any potential buyer would be to get something new from Jerry. It'll only cost a few dollars more, and his whistles have continued to get better over the years. My 'Bluebird' tops any Gen-style whistle I've ever owned.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
mathyou9

Post by mathyou9 »

Based on the seller's other items, I'm guessing that he/she acquires items from garage/yard/rummage sales, and then sells it on eBay considerably marked-up.

Is the seller intentionally trying to sell a fake Freeman tweaked whistle as the real thing? I doubt it (he/she probably isn't aware of the difference.) Is the seller trying to get the most money out of his/her inventory by sugar-coating his/her eBay listings? Probably (when "vintage" and "rare" are in the title, it's a safe bet that you can substitute "junk" instead.)

With a feedback rating of 99.9% (only 1 negative feedback over the last 12 months) and looking over all the items this seller is selling, I don't see "scam artist." I see "nice middle- to older-age woman trying to make extra money on-the-side." I bet if someone were to point out the Generation whistle misinformation to the seller, he/she would happily correct the listing.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've sent a message to the seller. My impression is, this was an innocent mistake.

Sticker or no sticker, every key of C Generation I've ever tweaked has a lacquered thread reinforcement on the socket. I don't see that on this one, so I don't have any reason to think I could have tweaked it.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I've sent a message to the seller. My impression is, this was an innocent mistake....
And the lister changed the description to "British Made Generation C Tin Penny Whistle." Looks like "innocent mistake" is correct.

Best wishes.

Steve
megapop

Post by megapop »

... and dramatically reduced the price. Still it's like one and a half times as much as you pay for a new one. This little rascal!
return null;
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

But I'm sure its value has increased, being the center of a major scandal....

Best wishes.

Steve
WhistlingRufus

Post by WhistlingRufus »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Thanks for the heads-up.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You are welcome Jerry. :D

Rufus